Any way of getting rid of the foggy white film on my tank water surface

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Laying a paper towel on the surface and gently lifting it off is a good, short term option.
A Black Mollie or two will clear up this issue in short order.

Len

knashash

AC Members
Oct 28, 2004
Whats your filtration like? Does it provide enough movemovent to cover the whole tank? Usually I only get that film when one of my 2 filters has been seriously slowed down in my 55 gallon.

maverick2402

AC Members
Feb 19, 2005
Deptford,NJ
I have a Penguin Biowheel and its on a 20 gal.tank.It moves thewater around pretty good,but I don't want too much movement because I'm running CO2

Timmain42

Disturbed Quasi-Genius
Jan 4, 2002
D/FW, TEXAS
www.xmenclan.org
Mav:

I found out about a month ago that by lighting the water, you slightly charge it. The charge attracts gunk and dust, which is what you are seeing. There isn't really a way to completely prevent it, but you take steps to minimize it once it has occured. Mollies feeding off the surface, paper towels, surface skimmers, etc. are all options, but the fact is that white gunk is endemic to the type of systems we are running.

Now, having said that, I used to rely totally on trickle filters to combat white gunk. Since I have had to cease with the skimmers due to invertebrate deaths (lil' punk amanos would climb over the overflow, get into the wet/dry and die without food), I have noticed an increase in white gunk. I do have some surface motion which tends to minimize the gunk, but not enough to destroy or remove it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store