Looks like a tadpole, but shouldn't be....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Joshuainthebox

Big guy, little box!
Dec 6, 2004
I'm a relative newbie at this, but I've never come across what was in my tank today. I bought a 20g at an auction and set it up on my double stand under my 29g. The 29g has been up since early Jan. I had scrubbed out the tank very well and it's been running for about 3 weeks now. Currently there are 6 ghost shrimp and three zebra danios in there. The danios and the two rocks came from my 29g, the sand was either fresh washed or some came from my 29g as well. The tank is medium planted, but they are fake plants, I haven't ventured too far yet. The plants came from my 29g as well except for one which I cleaned very well.

Today, while changing the water I saw a small black animal that highly resembled a tadpole. :confused: There are small dark flecks in my sand and I was just going to scoop it out with my hand because I didn't realize that it was alive. Then I realized that it was swimming against the current of my filter, and doing quite well. It actually swam away from my hand and now I've lost track of it. It's the first I've ever seen. I've never had ghost shrimp before, do their babies look like this? I mean, I didn't notice any females holding eggs. As for the danios, to the best of my knowledge, they're all males. I'm a bit confused. Can anyone help??

Thanx a million,
JOSH
<><

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Honestly, I'd suspect the danios. Sounds very much like a danio fry. Ghost shrimp have a free swimming stage, but it doesn't look like a tadpole. Danios reproduce fairly easily if the eggs can be protected from predators (including the adults).

Joshuainthebox

Big guy, little box!
Dec 6, 2004
I wondered about that, but I'm still not sure because I was pretty positive that I have all males from the indications I have read about. I dunno. The little "thing" has been MIA since that day, so he was probably eaten. If it was the danios there was a good chance that it survived in this tank because of the cover offered. Thanx for the suggestion.

JOSH
<><

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store