Plants For Vivarium (half aquariuim, half land)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aries

"Umm...., what is that!!??"
Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
I have an interesting conundrum - I am looking for plants that will go into a vivarium with 5 fire belly toads. I would like to keep some in the water (5.5G) but they should be able to grow outside the water as well (blooming flowers would be great if possible but not a requirement). There is low light but I am not against increasing my light (I really can not figure out my WPG because it is not all water and the light covers more than the water (20W NO Fluorescent)). I would prefer NOT to have CO2 injection since it is such a small water column size (I am not 100% against it though but I have to keep in mind that my toads are sensitive guys).

Also, on the “land” area I would like to keep plants as well. I occasionally flood this side because the “soil” (meant for toads) gets dry – I am not opposed to keeping this side marshy. Below the soil is basic simple pea sized gravel. On the land side as well I have an “overflow” siphon where I can siphon the water out after I flood it.

I do not have a lot of space to work with so I have to get it looking good the first time – something I rarely do :p

Do any of you have ideas for plants to use?

Thanks so much

Aries

Specs:
29G with glass divider
65W Heat Lamp
100W H2O heater
5.5G water
Internal Fluval Filter which supplies the water fountain (creates lots of surface agitation)
5 Fire belly Toads (oriental)

ergo sum

AC Members
Mar 15, 2005
There are a lot of things you can do. I think I might just grow some philodendron. I hang the roots in one of my tanks. Actually I got a piece from a friend and just stuck it into the aquarium.

Where are the Toads actually from?

Aries

Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
The toads are from LFS but are speicies Bombina Orientalis which reside in China, Thailand, Korea and other continental south-east Asian countries.

Is there any plant species specific to that region I could use??

Thanks!!!

Aries

Aries

Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
That is a great link!!!! I got some more ideas - it looks as though my aquarium side might be too little for most ideas I have had - so sad.

A paludarium was actually going to be my next venture once I acquired the funds to do so.

Thanks!!!

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
My River tank has been down for some months or maybe a year since the Fire-bellies went to their reward (fairly long-lived beasts BTW). It is being reset today. The main "land" area is occupied by 1 big-leaf and 1 narrow-leaf Crotons, plus moss. Crotons need pruning but not often (the big-leaf going back in is >10 years old). The edges are draped with emerse Java Moss (requires replacement periodically as it builds up salts through wicking). The upper "shelf" is occupied by terrestrial bromeliads (Cryptanthus mainly, plus several of a small one whose ID I do not know, the common dusty grey very slender leaves, so good contrast to the Cryptanthus in dark burgandy. At the end is a a variegated creeping fig which will require some routine pruning for control or it will take over. Between are a couple of plants of Star Grass. The shelf is feed by a dripper T'd off the circulation pump. No soil, just aquarium gravel topped by a 2-3" of long-fiber sphagnum moss (not peat, the dried moss itself. The fish/frogs whatever provide all the nutrients. The only water area with decent light is planted with the Crimun sold as "dwarf onion" whose leaves grow well emerse, looking like a tall hair grass largely above the water surface. Overall effect is a bit gaudy, to put it mildly.

The tank is a 30XH, lighting is more than yours, 2 each 20 W NOs and 2 each 15 W NOs, all Tritons, each pair on 12 hours but offset 1/2 hour from the other pair. I'm uncertain what stock will be this time, maybe 3 more Firebellies, or maybe dwarf African frogs, or maybe fish.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I have a tank like that for 2 fire bellied newts and I have a female betta and a gold long finned danio in the water...here's a pic...

I have moss on the platform and some ferns and a plant I don't know what it's called, but it seems to grow just as well in the water as it does on the platform. It's the tall plant in the back left corner. I have a sponge filter in the water as well. This is a 5 gallon by the way...not sure what wattage the flourescent light is but the plants are all doing very well in it.

Last edited:

Aries

Jan 19, 2003
Ohio, Dayton
Visit site
Well it still looks as though I can do this. I like the bromeliads and orchids (which I think will do well due to the high humidity of the tank).

I have been given a great deal of ideas - thanks all.

Now for another tough question - where to get these plants (non aquarium plants like the orchids). I see these at my local flower shop - but I am sure they use non-aquarium safe fertilizers that might hurt my toads.

ergo sum - great link again - I have seen this one before - since then I have lost it - or never bookmarked it - imagine that.

Emg gives hope that my 5.5G might actually be able to house plants. Ya!!

I will have to figure out what I want (and pass them by the gf) and plan how to get them.

Thanks so much!!!!!

Aries

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Aries..I have a site that specializes in vevariums. They also sell poison dart frogs and just about anything you need for such a tank...here is the link...
http://www.blackjungle.com/home.htm

Hope you can find what your looking for. I'm blessed in that this place is only about an hour and half from where I live...though I haven't yet visited the store I am planning a visit soon. Want some of those dart frogs...lol...

Oh, I have a layer of flourite underneath the plants and moss which help keep them healthy. I am planning on putting a layer of Echo-Complete for planted tanks under instead...it looks more like dirt and I think it will just look nicer.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store