HELP! my fish jumped out!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

suziq

AC Members
May 30, 2002
MI
Visit site
Well my old blue dwarf gourami that has been through EVERYTHING bad that could happened to a tank just tried suicide! He seemed a bit constipated lately so i was moving him to my hospital tank for treatment. i had him in a tall tupperware bowl with original tank water and was drip aclimating him with a tube.

We left to go pick up food and came back to him on the carpet! He was nearly totally dried out, his fins and scales were crispy :eek: and his color was dark blue and he was not moving. I grabbed him up, tossed him into the water and was cupping him in my hand and moving him around trying to get water into his little dried up gills when he started breathing and as I plucked the carpet lint of of him, the little bugger began to swim on his own :D
He seems to be able to swim OK and is able to keep himself upright on the bottom and swim up to the surface to gulp air.
So now what should I do? his scales seem pale/dark in spots and I'm sure that his slime coat is damaged. Should I keep him in shallow water so the trip to the surface is shorter. Should I add stress coat? Melafix? I don't want to stress him any further . I can't believe he is still alive!

quick061

AC Members
Nov 19, 2002
CA
Visit site
i had a fish jump out of the tank once, really scared me. i just put him back in and watched him for a while but he survived. i think luckily i decided to check on him shortly after it happened because he was still moist when i found it.

of course moving the dresser the tank was on to pull it out from behind it was not easy. stupid little thing just couldn't jump out the front of the tank of course.

suziq

AC Members
May 30, 2002
MI
Visit site
When i say dried out, I mean crispy like a potato chip! He was so dried out that he had completely changed color, his fins were hard and stiff along with the entire side of his body that was face up. i studied his body for at least 1/2 a minute and was about ready to put him in the trash when I decided to try to 'reconstitute' him. He was probably there for at least 20 minutes.

I know that I need to just wait and see if he wil survive but I have the need to feel like I am doingsomething to help him. Is there anything else I should add like maybe salt or something? :(

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
Yep, basically treat that fish the way you would if it got ICK... Clean Water, often changes, and effecient food. ;)

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
I tot by then it would have died from inability to breath when it turned in to a potato crisp.

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
But apparently it is still a live by some miracal... Wait a minute, I don't beleive in Miricals! :D :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store