How can I get native fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

itearian

AC Members
Mar 24, 2005
Hi, I have a large backyard pond and I'm wondering how i can get a few native fish such as sunfish or bluegill. I want something more natural looking than khoi or goldfish.

Does anyone know if its possible to get them without catching them myself.
I live in Houston if that helps.
Thanks

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I'd highly recommend either going fishing for them or using a cast net to get them (if it's legal where you are). It's really a lot of fun.

Obsidian said:
Check with your state department of fish and wildlife, as some states have regulations about game fish stocking.
Best to check first. Nets are illegal in most places for panfish or gamefish and most states have rules about collecting for home aquariums, plus releasing restrictions.

You should be able to find the Fish and Game regulations online for your state. Good luck! Eventually I'd like a tank w/ a sunny or bluegill. They're beautiful fish.

knowy

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
N.C
um, minnow traps are a great way to catch little fish,and make it much easier on life to adapt to confined enviroments.
can also ask people with ponds where the guy is that comes around w/a truck full of fish so people can buy fish to stock their ponds,.they usually travel a wide range so may only be in your area once a year,. spring has fallen / sorta, so i suggest get a minnow trap and bait it, with luck you will have many tiny sunfish in your tank without to much trouble. g/luck

my 1st attempt at a pic on here >

http://img46.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img46&image=pumpkin2wd.jpg
knowy

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
unless someone here knows different, i was told by a co-worker that here in indiana, the DNR will stock your pond for free, but that it has to be open to public access for a certain number of years afterwards. has anybody else heard fo this in other states?

*i just checked the DNR site for here and it stated that private ponds are no longer stocked by state and federal hatcheries.

what state are you in?

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most states have commercial, privately held fish hatcheries that will stock you pond for a fee. The DNR should be able to identify them for you, as well as determine what, if any, permits will be required.

Mocular

Novice Expert
Feb 10, 2005
Nebraska
I dont know about other places but here in Nebraska you can buy fish directly from the game and parks fish hatchery to stock in your ponds. as long as you own the pond and its not connected to a waterway like a river, they really dont care what you put into it.

P.S. i know the guys at my local fish hatchery and they gave me two foot long muskie for my sandpit. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store