Molly Breeding?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sivic

rum's my friend
Aug 6, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
sivic.has-my.info
Well i wanted to try the breeding game with some mollies so i have about 7 mollies right now. about 2-3 males, rest females. I got one of those plastic breeding containers for the fry to fall to the bottom part. Now my question is when will i know to add the female into it. I dont want to just keep the poor fish in there for weeks till i start noticing something. So can anybody give me some information as to what i need to look for? or any other tips people have had with breeding mollies?

Dragon Queen

AC Members
Feb 17, 2005
If you get some floating plants or just plant alot of plants (fake or real)so that there a alot of places for fry to go and hide most of them should survive.
Most of the time there is a dark triangle on the very back of her belly when she gets bigger. I think gestation is 2 months, but I'm not sure on that I just see one that is preggers and not to long after there are eyeballs with tails in the tank. :eek: :thud:

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
I would try to disuade you from using the breeder box/net thingy. They stress fish. Let them be in a tank and then let nature take its course. Using plants, as suggested previously, will help tremendously. Once you see fry, search the tank, net them and put them in another tank to grow out. It's relatively simple, actually, with livebearers.

sivic

rum's my friend
Aug 6, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
sivic.has-my.info
Thanks you guys for the information. Late last night i found 6 little fry swimming around and have since contained them away from the other fish. My question now would be how to feed these little guys. Ive tried crushing flakes up very fine but they seem to have no interest. I also have a fine dust like collection from frozen brine shrimp ive tried to fed them, same result no interest.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
How big is your tank?
Usually when I breed Mollies, I keep them in a 55 gallon container. Mollies need their room and boy do they ever. Give them plenty of greens, such alage. I love keeping these guys outside in a 55 gallon container. They breed very well for me and look so healthy. So if you want to try Sailfins this would give you even more fry. :)
A great floating plant to have with mollies is Hornwort. This plant will grow and grow for you, I think over the last 6 years, i have cropped out 40 feet of plants to pet stores.

sivic

rum's my friend
Aug 6, 2004
Cincinnati Ohio
sivic.has-my.info
tricksterpup said:
How big is your tank?
Usually when I breed Mollies, I keep them in a 55 gallon container. Mollies need their room and boy do they ever. Give them plenty of greens, such alage. I love keeping these guys outside in a 55 gallon container. They breed very well for me and look so healthy. So if you want to try Sailfins this would give you even more fry. :)
A great floating plant to have with mollies is Hornwort. This plant will grow and grow for you, I think over the last 6 years, i have cropped out 40 feet of plants to pet stores.
I have a 55 gallon and a 29 gallon hex. I got 6 fry in the hex tank and put all the mature mollys in the 55 gallon. Unfortnetly while i went out for dinner i come home and notice one of the smaller mollies was missing and my pitcus cat had a huge part of his belly sticking out. So i guess he ate it. Funny how many sites describe pitus cats as a community fish and not aggressive. I TOTALLY DISAGREE.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
sivic said:
I have a 55 gallon and a 29 gallon hex. I got 6 fry in the hex tank and put all the mature mollys in the 55 gallon. Unfortnetly while i went out for dinner i come home and notice one of the smaller mollies was missing and my pitcus cat had a huge part of his belly sticking out. So i guess he ate it. Funny how many sites describe pitus cats as a community fish and not aggressive. I TOTALLY DISAGREE.
A fish will put any other fish in its mouth if its small enough. So your cat found a molly that fit in its mouth. :( In my tank it was a Knight Goby.. He always had a fat belly from Molly fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store