Who makes the best quality tanks and stands?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

squale

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
I am looking to get a tank with matching stand in the 50-75 gallon size. Was wondering who the best manufacturers are. My local fish shop only sells All Glass Aquarium and Oceanic which I believe are really the same company.

Thanks

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Oceanic have very thick glass in their tanks. As for stands, I dunno, best quality is probably homemade.

jasperfish

AC Members
Jan 22, 2005
I agee, you can build a very nice stand for about half the money. You can custamize it to your needs. I did my own stand, I wanted it shorter for my young son. Took a sheet of plywood and 2 8foot 2x4's cost about 20 bucks and 2 days work including 3 coats of stain.

steveeas

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
central texas
i have a 72 gallon Oceanic bowfront. bought it about 2 yrs ago from lfs. after about a year, it developed a leak at the back on the bottom. i had to get new carpet , and my fish had to live in trash cans for about a week, but Oceanic did replace it at no charge. it is a beautiful tank. I believe Petsmart will extend to a lifetime warranty if you buy from them.

HeinekenMike

AC Members
Mar 14, 2005
Portland, OR
if you have the money to blow, get an oceanic, there stainless steel stand bowfront combo is very nice looking, there cherry would stuff is outstanding also (for looks) and just by word of mouth I herd there quality is top notch. I think thay have a lifetime warrenty againts leaks?

squale

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
you think it's worth the extra money to get a bowfront over a regular?

what is the general price difference between like a 55 standard and a 55 bowfront?

HeinekenMike

AC Members
Mar 14, 2005
Portland, OR
it will be more.... I dont know how much more to be honest, but it should be a decent chunk I am guessing. I have a bowfront and personaly I think its 1000x better looking than a tradional square oblong tank. Better viewing, more sleak and visualy appealing for the living room... thats just me though, your personal taste could be diffrent you know. I would go down to the bigist LFS in your area with the widist selection of tanks and stands (you may want to call ahead of time to see exactly how big there selection is you arent sure) and just spend as much time as you need in there comparing and checking prices along with visual appeal. But if money is no issue... I would go with oceanic, thay ALWAYS look the best to me. but if you can drop the huge price on one... theres similar looking brands I couldent afford a oceanic lol. anyway I would go with bowfront, remember your going to have to look at this thing for a long time everyday you wake up.

squale

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
a 72gallon bow front like you have would be great... how much does something like that cost with a matching stand?

btw.. in these larger tanks I see built in overflows.. what is this and what does an overflow do for you? I just don't get why some tanks have them and others don't..

HeinekenMike

AC Members
Mar 14, 2005
Portland, OR
I have no idea, I dont think I have one... I got mine used on craigslist because I was on a budget. if you live in or near a big city check out www.craigslist.org and then select your city and do a search for "aquarium" and search for "fish tank" I am not 100% what brand it is, but my LFS was selling one identical to it for almost 600 bucks w/ stand. I got mine for 300 with stand, top, lighting, substrate, nets, filter and misc supplies. If you can confirm it dosent leak anywhere, and it looks like its new.... whos to know the diffrence other than you wallet lol. But I am also a student with a budget.. look around craigslist though a lot of the people have pictures.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store