Chinese algae eater and goldfish???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
I have a 29 gallon tank with a mixture of mollies, danios, and guppies. I bought an algae eater, than a few months later I bought another one from a different store. I now believe my second algae eater is a Chinese algae eater. He killed my first algae eater and is going after some of my other fish today. I do not know what to do with him because they do not take returns. I know someone who has a 3 large goldfish (about 5 inches each) that would be willing to take him if he would be not harm the goldfish. I do not know what else to do with him because I can not allow him to stay in the tank and continue to pick on the other fish.
thanks,
Gretchen

blueturq

This hobby is addicting!
Jul 17, 2004
Canada
Visit site
NOOO!

CAE's (Chinese Algae Eaters) will not do well with goldfish, because goldfish tend to be slower moving, and the CAE will take advantage of that and attack them and suck their slime coating off (causing death).

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
The goldfish are not in a 29 gallon. The goldfish are in over a 100 gallon pond. The 29 gallon has danios, mollies, platy, and a guppy. I believe another fish fell victim to him, a male guppy. I took the algae eater out and he is living in a bucket. I do not know what to do with him since he will not be good with the goldfish. What type of fish can go with a Chinese algae eater and what size tank does one need?
Gretchen

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
I have one in a 20 gallon tank with tiger barbs but any fast moving fish that is kinda aggresive as the tigers are very active and nippy would be fine.

Kabong

AC Members
Oct 17, 2004
Chinese algae eater's do very well in Pirahna tank's :D

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
Well, I just got home from the fish store and wal-mart. I bought the chinese algae eater a tank of his own. Stupid $2 fish ending up costing a lot more. Just could not bring myself to kill him and did not know anyone to take him. I hope he does not die while I am cycling but I do not have anywhere else to keep him, right now he is just in a small bucket without a filter. So now he will have a filter and hiding places. I asked the fish store again today about them, and she said he must just have a bad desposition because I am the first to complain. The guy it wal-mart seemed to know more about them than the lady at the fish store. He did kinda laugh at me for buying another tank for an algae eater. He was really nice and seemed to know a good bit about fish. Well, I have to go finish setting up my tank for the chinese algae eater.
Gretchen

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
LFS won't take him? I had a betta that was the same...2$ fish is now 2 tanks 6 fish and 4 frogs, and other stuff along the way...

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
no they would not take him.
Oh well, I kind a like the way the tank looks. Right now it has 4 fake plants, black gravel, a big center rock with hiding places and I bought some of those bulbs from wal-mart that are suppose to grow plants in about 2 weeks. I'll see if they grow, if they don't you can send them to the company and they will send you more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store