help me with my discus tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aznCICHLIDboi

AC Members
Jan 24, 2003
Los Angeles
Visit site
im goin to set up a 15 gallon hexigon tank. I have great, tall drift wood, and also some plants. but i would like to know what kind, and the amount of discus and other fish that i can put in. I already have a gold nugget in their for the time being to prevent algae growth. please post some ideas. thank you.

Stephen

There's always a bigger fish...
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
You're kidding right? A 15 gallon isn't big enough for a gold nugget pleco or even one discus. The pleco can get up to 14 inches according to planet catfish and the discus need a LOT bigger tank than 15 gallons and a lot of care. I'd suggest taking a look at the smaller fish for your tank. There's a rule to follow that says one inch of fish for every gallon of water. Can't say I follow it though. I like to give them as much room as possible.

Since you already have this 15 gallon tank up and running. How about putting that pleco in a much bigger tank or taking him back to where you got it and trading it for some neons, guppies, or some other small fish. Just make sure the small fish you buy will stay small. A male and/or female betta would be idea for a tank that size.

Roland

worlds last gunslinger
I'd have to agree with ff, a 15 us gallon tank is too small for discus. You could set up an amazonian tank with your drift wood, and add some cardinal tetras, rummy nosed tetras, hatchet fish etc and maybe some amazon sword plants. There are loads of fish to choose from this region which are a suitable size for your tank.

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
Keeping a Discus in a 15 gal tank is a no go. You need a lot larger tank to keep him in. You can keep one in the 30 you have if you get rid of your GT and get the water parameters right to keep Discus.

I agree with Roland for what to put in this tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store