Switching from fake to real...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gritscwgrl22

Cowboys in Wranglers...mm mmm good!
Mar 6, 2005
St Pete, FL
I'm thinking about switching from fake plants to real plants but I'm not sure if I really should, considering my tank is already stocked with dwarf puffers. I'm afriad that when I make the switch, the puffers won't have enough cover while the plants are growing out.

I don't want anything fancy. No special gravel. No CO2 whatchamathingy (I love that word!). I have 1.5 WPG which I know isn't great but, its only a 10 gal. tank. I'm going to have to buy a new light soon so I'll probably upgrade to something better as far as spectrum but probably not a higher wattage (the light I'm currently using is the one the came with the hood that I bought 2 years ago).

I already have an anacharis bunch in my tank that I bought to get the snails off of. I liked it so much in my snail tank that I figured I might as well fill in an empty space in my main tank...and now I guess you could say I'm hooked...

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I should go about making the switch? I've never had live plants before so I'd really appreciate some names of easy-to-care-for, low light plants (preferably fast-growing for my puffers sake) and any tips you guys have to share.

Thanks a bunch (sorry its so long!)
Steph

centralharbor

fat panda cory
Sep 23, 2004
i also have anacharis, its a great plant! i keep mine floating. anyway, im no expert, but if i were doing that, i would maybe do it section by section very gradually so you have enough cover for your dwarf puffers. im not sure if these are good for brakish water, but i got this off of plant geek

Java moss
Java Fern
Lace Java Fern
Narrow leaf Java Fern
Most of the Cryptocoryne sp.
Most of the Anubias sp.
Guppy grass
Hornwort

from that list, i only have java moss, and i have it on drift wood, it looks nice and it doesnt make a mess, so i think its good. i have no ferts or whatever and i have the stock lighting of the hood. HTH. heres the link

http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=17

gritscwgrl22

Mar 6, 2005
St Pete, FL
Thanks! Dwarf puffers are strictly freshwater so the list of plants that you gave me is perfect. I've thought of another question: about how long does it usually take for a plant to take root in the gravel and approximately how much gravel should I have? I used 10lbs of natural gravel and I think it's ~1" to 1 1/2" deep. Oh my! so much to think about...

Oh and one more question :p Is there a limit to the number of plants you can have in a tank?

gritscwgrl22

Mar 6, 2005
St Pete, FL
A lot of puffers are brackishwater fish, but not dwarf puffers. They are definately freshwater.

z71silverado98

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
DPs are def. freshwater. Id change to real plants if i were you. back when i had only 1 real plant 3 fakes and 4 DP's everyone fought over who got the sleep in the real plant :D needless to say the dwarfs will enjoy the plants.
for you light, try upgrading the bulb if you dont want to replace everything, go w/ a plant/aquarium bulb, walmart = $5 petsmart = $10+.

anacharis is great, when the plant reaches the top of the water cut it in half and plant again. you'll have a huge group soon enough.

ive also found that the wal-mart aponogenton bulbs are very easy and fast growing, plus there is any number of 20 different varietys you could get in the pack. check by the fish food

theres moneywort which is such an easy plant to take care of that any leaves left floating will root and start to grow a new plant.

wisteria will take off as soon as it roots in your tank, ive got 3 huge plants after 2 months from just 1 plant

gritscwgrl22

Mar 6, 2005
St Pete, FL
Unfortunately, my local walmarts don't sell anything that actually needs to be cared for, so getting plants from there isn't a possibility. Does anyone have any ideas of how I could set up the tank once I get my plants and about how many plants I should get?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store