fish identification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
The other day I was at Wal-mart and stopped by the fish section. They had some fish that I really liked but did not know what kind they were. The man said that they were related to the angel fish. they were yellowish color and slightly larger than a quarter. There body was pretty round but flat. I do not know how else to describe them. They were in a tank with guppies and platys. I do not want to buy a fish that is either going to harm my fish or grow to large for my tank. Any thoughts on what the fish might be?
thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Discus? I can't imagine a Walmart carrying discus, and they aren't really related closely to angels...But they do have a round, laterally compressed body, and I've seen them in a variety of colors. Only other thing I can think of is a recent hybrid of rams and angels--don't know much about their survival rates, but they certainly could be a nasty tempered, territorial fish.

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
I do not think they are discus, they don't really look like them. The tail fin is not correct for a discus. They are $6. They might be a hybrid. I do not know where they get their fish from, but they do take pretty good care of them.

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
The wal-mart here usually has angel fish. I really like this fish but I am going to have to skip it because I can not figure out what it is.

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
No. Its body was shaped like that but the fins went more the length of its body. and they were short not pointed like the ones in the picture. As long as I watched them they did not bother the guppies, but I did not watch that long and the lights were on. Thanks for trying to help me figure out the mystery fish.

Gretchen

AC Members
Jan 30, 2005
it almost looks like a Gold Severum, but more rounded. It also does not have the "point" (not sure if that is the right word or not) on the fins. Do they get the points when they get larger? thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store