Help Needed wiht Molly and Platy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sinha_punit

AC Members
Nov 19, 2004
29 Gallon Tank - 5 month old set up
water aeration is at max. Ammonia - 0 , Nitrate - 35, Nitrite - 0
Hardness - 150 , Alkalinity - 100 , Ph - 7.0

black molly (1)
golden cresent platty (1)
red wag tail platty (2)

All the fish seem lethargic, especially Molly. heavy gill function
One of the Platty seems to be swimming erratically.

A silver Lyertail Molly recently died of swim bladder problems

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Lakota

AC Members
Jan 5, 2004
Maryland, USA
Mollies like really high ph, in the field of around 7.5-7.8. They also really like aquarium salt. They live very well in brackish water.

Also, just for a boost, use Stress Eaze in your tank and a conditioner of sorts called Prime. These seem to work for me really well.

But remember, you have to have the higher ph and mollies much prefer the salty water. And, the platies do well in these conditions also. So, try it see if they get better, and if anything happens good or bad, let me know. :) Hope it helped if just alittle.

Lakota

sinha_punit

AC Members
Nov 19, 2004
I also noticed two baby snails which I removed after I saw one of the platy having convulsions.

The platy and the molly are not eating as well.

I am also having brown algae in the tank........

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Please don't put salt in your water. Mollies do not need it. For information on this please fllow this link, and this one, and this one. If you read all of those article thoroughly you will understand the lack of science behind the addition of salt and just scratch the surface of the dangerous myths in aquaria. Now then, on to the illness.

Have you noticed any white to clear, segmented or mucous-like poop from any of these inhabitants? Also, what's the tank temp set at, and what is it reading?

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
I would do more water changes, and also try upping the heat alittle this may help. For possible internal parasites, you can feed them crushed garlic. This will help remove any internal parasite problems. ALso, did this happen all of a sudden? Are these the only fish in this tank? If they are other fish, how are they acting?

Aslo, I second Harlock, no salt, livebearers need water hardness not salt for living. Plus they need constant water changes to be healthy.

sinha_punit

AC Members
Nov 19, 2004
Yes the Poop is Stringy.

To answer another question, yes this seems to have happened all of a sudden, I have noticed this for the last 3 days now which is a couple days after the last 20% water change.

Would also like to mention that water added to tank was treated and was also of the same temp as the water int the tank.

Last edited:

Harlock

Educated Idiot
Dec 15, 2004
San Angelo, TX
members.cox.net
Probably internal parasites and maybe some other things. There is a med called Metonidazole that works well for internal parasites. You soak the food in metro and feed it to the fish and it clears out the bugs. The only problem is if the fish come off of food, it can be hard to get them interested. Usually the metro causes a fast turnaround, however, so even if they get a little, it will likely help. Good luck.

Lakota

AC Members
Jan 5, 2004
Maryland, USA
Don't know what's wrong with some of you people, but my mollies do fine and THRIVE in water with salt in it. In all the cases(and I have been keeping mollies for 18 yrs), they did MUCH better in the salted water then in the non salted water.

But, whatever works for you hobbiests.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store