Low Fin Yellow Tang

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
Anyone have Burgess' Marine Atlas? This fish is dicussed in there and I could REALLY use either a scan or a quote of what it says concerning it... This is what I had and took to my LFS... They now tell me they can't sell him cuz everyone thinks he is deformed =\ Idiots...

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
That's the problem, no SN fo it... The friend that gave me this odd tang told me it was a "chinese low fin", however you know how trade names go... He said it was listed in the atlas but he doesn't have a copy of it anymore... And nope, Acanthurus pyroferus looks nothing like what I'm describing... It is as yellow as a yellow tang could ever be =)

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Make sure you're looking at the juvenile coloration - lots of tangs are solid, bright yellow as juvies and then mature into different colored adults. All of these are nearly solid yellow when small:
A. pyoferus (see p 379 of Marine Fishes)
A. olivaceus (p 378 of MF)
A. coeruleus (p 303 of CMA)

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
This tang was purchased as an adult size 9 years ago =) I contacted the place he got it from and they told me that it sounds to them like it has suffered severe HLLE in the past and has never regenerated properly... I've never read nor seen where HLLE can modify the shape of the dorsal fin though... There is some evidence of past HLLE, so that could be it...

Boogiechillin

It's ok, I confuse my students too.
Oct 26, 2000
Akron, OH, USA
www.trocadero.com
Does the body shape otherwise look like a Zebrasoma spp tang, or is the body more elongated like a Acanthurus or Naso spp? No bristletooth mouth part like a Ctenochaetus spp, right? If we could at least narrow it down to the genus, that would help things a lot...I'm curious to find out what the hell this is now. :D

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
Not being a major tang fan, I can't keep up with you on the SNs, but for all intents an purposes, it is a yellow tang... First, imagine the yellow tang with no dorsal or pectoral fins at all... Now, imagine the pectoral fin elongated downwards and rounded... The dorsal is sort of a mohawk kinda effect, with perfectly formed terminations that SHOULD extend up and form a nice sail-fin...

Nice to see I'm not the only one burning to find out what exactly this critter is =)

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
nope... Maybe this will help =) (sorry, had to hunt old pics on my CDs... I keep everything, I just can't always find it at first hehehe)

tangsmall.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store