Can anyone explain how an air filter works???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

spankey

AC Members
Dec 21, 2001
Boyertown, PA
I was just curious about something? I was at the local fish store the other day and noticed in their tanks they had a sponge filter in the middle of the tank with an airling running into it? I saw NO other type of filtration on the tanks other than these setups?

How do they work? Are they efficient? Can you make them?

I am thinking if they do work, for a fry tank maybe? That way you can't suck any up in the intake of a powerfilter? Fry that is.....

Thanks for the info???

Spankey

MP

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Chicago area, IL
Yes, this is one of the oldest types of filters. A sponge filter powered by airlift. A stream of bubbles in a tube causes water to flow from the bottom part of the tube toward the upper opening. So water is moving through the sponge up.

The filters are perfect for fry tanks and very useful in some other situations. They're, primarily, biological. However, you can substitute the airlift with a powerhead and make an efficient mechanical filter.

And it's very easy to make a filter like this. Drill or cut multiple holes in one part of a PVC or plastic pipe and stick this portion of the pipe into a sponge. Then stick the tubing of your air pump into the lower part of the pipe (an airstone is optional). Make a heavy shoe for the sponge block to prevent it from floating (the sponge can be glued to a ceramic tile, for example), turn on your air pump, and you're in business.

Last edited:

Sum-X

La Dee Da Dee Do
Sep 15, 2001
Newark, Ohio
www.designerscrypt.com
Real Name
Aaron
I agree with MP, (hey that rymes!:D) Those air filters are often used by LFS and wal-marts... Basically because they're cheap, they're somewhat effective, and they don't take much clean up. ;)

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Yes Spankey, the sponge filters are favorites of Discus Breeders because after usually being unsuccessful the first time or two, Discus make wonderful parents and do a good job of raising their young. These filters stay in the tanks from the spawn to the removal of the young from the parents. It should also be noted that these Discus breeders do daily and sometimes more often, water changes along with this filtration.
So the sponge filters are, as previously stated, excellent frye filters. I don't think they'd be a good long term filter under most every day conditions however.
Len

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store