sexing electric yellow cichlid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tfbarb15

AC Members
Mar 24, 2005
I just got a 2 electric yellow labs for my 20 gallon. And I was wondering
how can I tell if there male and female. Because I wanted to breed them.

Thanks,

teekee542

AC Members
Apr 1, 2005
electric yellow labs

Hey i have to electric yellow labs and im not sure if this is true but i think the males (at least mine) have a darker black strip on their top fin while my female has little/basically no black on her at all.

maverick2402

AC Members
Feb 19, 2005
Deptford,NJ
I checked on that after I had the same question some time back .From what I am told by a couple of breeders that the black strip tell tall sign is all a myth and that you can't really be sure what sex they are.

~*LuvMyKribs*~

AC Members
Nov 15, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
www.aquaticescapes.ca
If your yellow lab has no black stripe or very little then it is possibly a hybrid, since yellow labs should have the black dorsal stripe, whether they are male or female. Sometimes a female's will be lighter, but that is not always true.

The only for sure way to sex them is to vent them or watch them breed. Males will usually be larger and more aggressive, but sometimes females can be like that too.

Also, they are harem breeders and you should have several females per male or else the male will harass the one female. They get very large (over 3-4") and should be in a larger tank. ;)

-Diana

tfbarb15

AC Members
Mar 24, 2005
Both of them have a very dark black dorsal stripe on them. And they are both like 1 1/2 inche's long. And they both follow each other. And they will be going in a 55 when they get bigger. I think ther both male's, maybe there
*** since they follow each other lol

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
I agree with Diana - you have to vent them to know for sure. A 20 is pretty small even for less aggressive mbuna like labs. I don't know whether you'd have much luck breeding them in that small of a tank, even if you do have one male and one female. Usually the male will hound the female to death when there's only one female; being in such a small tank will only compound that problem.

Good luck,
Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store