OCEANIC vs ALLGLASS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

audio77

AC Members
Jan 19, 2003
Visit site
i had a 180 on order and my guy @ the lfs just called and said the all glass is on sale, and its about 185 bux cheaper than the oceanic. he said the overflows are nicer:confused: and the glass is thicker on the oceanic. is it worth it or not enough to worry about. wouldnt mind saving the 180bux. then he said something that sounded stupid, the all glass is a little bit smaller because of the glass thickness and overall its just a slightly smaller tank. he didnt reccomend putting it on the stand for the oceanic,..? i mean were talking about maybe an inch difference. putting a SLIGHTLY smalller tank on a SLIGHTLY larger stand shouldnt be a prob! am i missing something?! he says he wouldnt suggest it and wants me to sign a waver. i thinkhe just wants to make a bigger sale.

whatcha think?!

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Sounds like a sales job. I know that many of these stores buy the Oceanic tanks and stands as a set and don't like to split them up. I've always wondered whether they were worth all the extra money they charge for them. I've had All Glass tanks all my life and never had a problem with any of them. HOWEVER....I've never had an aquarium that large, and you might get other feedback that tells you the Oceanic is the way to go when buying that large a tank.
Len

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Oceanic is owned by all-glass.

Oceanic tanks is the high end line. They will come with better silicone job, a different type of bracing (usually a clear cross brace also) and the overflow boxes are a black acrylic box.

However, they both have excellent warranties, and will last indefinatly if setup on a proper stand.

SamsonNY

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
hometown.aol.com
I've got the Oceanic 150 and it's great. Thick glass, perfect silicone job, glass brace. But, from what I've heard, the All Glass is as well. (Didn't know they were the same company.... Go figure.) So, saving the dough (or spending it on the U.V. with a spare bulb :D ) might be the better way to go.

Don't know about the stand issue. Outside of aesthetics, don't really think it will make a big deal, but I'm not certain.

Oh yeah, if you go with the AllGlass, will the overflows be the dual overflows? (top and bottom inlets) If so, grab it. I had to "customize" my skimmer/prefilter box with a tube so that I would grab water off the top and bottom of the tank. AllGlass came up with a great idea just for that.

audio77

AC Members
Jan 19, 2003
Visit site
yeah, i could then afford the UV! i dont know, well see. i might just bite it and go withthe oceanic everything. but really, i mean the stand being about 1/2 inch wider than the tank all the way around shouldnt make it a bad thing, hell it might be a good thing
i'm gonna e-mail oceanic

Shay

AC Members
Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
Buy the All Glass. You're going to scratch it or mess it up some other way a long time before it "wears out."

I would suggest, to anyone, going to a glass cutter and replacing the cover glass if you want your tank lights to do their best job.

-Shay

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Since I still have tanks manufactured in the 50s, I don't exactly consider that tanks "wear out".

When you go large tank, go high quality.

Not having a tank on its own brand of stand may negate the warranty. If this is the case, don't do it.

goldfish freak

AC Members
Oct 16, 2001
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
If it was me I would spend the extra 185 dollars for the Oceanic. The Oceanics look somewhat better both in quality and appearance. I just bought an 120 gallon All- Glass modern kit and I think it looks very good, but I would have bought an Oceanic if it did not cost quite a bit more.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Two months ago I bought a 209G Oceanic Tank, and I personally like them a lot more than All-Glass. I like the glass brace better than they plastic that All-Glass has. All-Glass is a great brand though too. I agree with RTR, I think it will be worth the extra 180. Oceanics have quite a bit thicker glass, and is well worth it to make sure a tank that big doesn't explode and end up on your floor (not that an All-Glass will....probably won't), but if it was me I would rather go with the thicker glass. I don't know about All-Glass tanks with the overflow, but my Oceanic is so quite, I can't hear anything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store