A 'nice' damsel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

UDdiver81

AC Members
Mar 16, 2005
Ohio
I was told of a type of damsel that isn't so territorial and picky to other fish. I can't remeber what kind it is though. I'm in the process of setting up my first saltwater aquarium (!!Finally!!) and I'm focusing on primarily fish not inverts. I guess you all use FOWLR. I want non agressive fish. Any good ideas? I hear clowns are a great choice since they are easy to find tank bred. I've always wanted a mandarine fish too. What would be some good tank mates for either of these fishes?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Yellow tails can be nice, the problem is that personalities vary, and some fish will still be buggers, even if they aren't 'supposed' to be. I wouldn't rely on any to behave. What size tank? A mandarin really needs live rock to feed on, a minimum of 75 pounds in most cases, though some will same much more.

thegreatpablo

AC Members
Mar 12, 2005
I would really recommend staying away from the mandarin until you have a good community of copepods and amphipods. www.ipsf.com sells an amphipod breeding kit, and a good live sand activator that, after several months to a year, should be enough to maintain a mandarin.

UDdiver81

AC Members
Mar 16, 2005
Ohio
Thanks for the info guys! I'm planning a 75 gallon. I got it from a friend and the rock is all live but we are gonna use a new batch of sand for the bottom. I really dont' like the stuff he is using now. I'll check out the site for ideas on copepods and other critters so when I get a manderine he'll be happy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store