easy corals

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

redwing191

AC Members
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
Im interested in getting some corals or similar things. I've done some research and found a few that are supposed to be easy to take care of like leather corals, star polyps, and colt corals. What are some other corals that are easier to take care of? I know the hard corals are more difficult but thats about it in terms of selecting corals.

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
It really all depends on what kind of light you have. I started with mushrooms with pc. I then added mh and added a brain, zoos, anthellia, clove poylps, xenia and candycanes.

redwing191

AC Members
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
sorry for the stupid question but what do pc and mh stand for? If it helps any i have a Marine-Glo bulb (actinic spectrum) from Hagen and their
power-glo which is rated at 18,000 K. I know that marine algea responds better to the bluer side of the spectrum which would cause me to believe the marine-glo would be better.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
PC is power compact, aka compact fluorescent lighting. The bulbs look like skinny, doubled-over fluorescents. Adequate for many corals.

MH is metal halide. For the moment, MH gives the best intensity of lighting for corals. Assuming you have the correct wattage, it will work for any coral or tridacnid clam.

NO is normal output fluorescent. Standard, straight, 1-1.5" diameter fluorescent tubes. Not generally recommended for corals, although some of the least demanding will be OK if you use several bulbs and have the corals very close to the surface.

The color temperature (in degrees kelvin, like your 18000 K bulbs) is a measure of the spectrum they put out, not the intensity.

skippy2

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
holland, mi
Visit site
I never received a notice about your reply. I would have answered sooner. pc=power compact. You would be able to keep some of the softer corals with these. mh= metal halides. You would be able to keep any type of coral or clam with these. Depending on the size of your tank. I have 2 mh on my 55.
In my opinion it would be better to get mh from the beginning instead of upgrading from pc to mh like I did. You would save money in the long run. Of course, I use my pc for supplemental lighting.

matter1331

AC Members
Feb 26, 2005
MH are the ideal choice.....if you can afford them. I however cannot, so I have a PC with dual 96 watt bulbs, which in my 46 gallon is about 4.2 watts per gallon. As of now, my zoos, GSP's, yellow polyps, and plate coral are doing great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store