algae eating shrimps

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jaguar

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
Hi, my local pet shop sells this and I quote, "algae eating shrimp", for $2.65/each. Does any one have any experience with these? I asked them what the difference is between these and the ghost shrimps (5 for $1) that are just below the algae eating shrimp tank, they say the ghost shrimps don't eat algae, but only the food that is left behind by the fish. Is this true?

thanks.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
There are many kinds of small shrimps for sale, so not sure which one LFS is selling you.
Ghost shrimp are not really algae eaters but will eat anything (it is a better scavenger).

peleg38

AC Members
Sep 28, 2004
Vacaville, CA
Second the Ghost Shrimp being scavengers. Actually most people I know use them as feeders because they are so cheap and many fish just love to munch on them. The algae eating shrimp are probably Amano shrimp. Here is a link so you can compare the picture http://www.petfish.net/amano.htm. I have 4 of my original 6 Amanos left. They are good algae eaters (I've watched them go at the stuff) but I think shrimp in general are not very hardy.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I've got 9 Amanos now, they're great little algae eaters, with terriffic personality (they push my cherry barbs around - they're fearless!) :)
Is the price $2.65 US, or Canadian (not sure where you live)? I picked up five Caridina japonica for $9.99 CND yesterday, they seem to be fairly cheap here in Toronto.
peleg38, I don't think they're terribly long lived - AFAIK, many small shrimp don't live much more than a year, maybe two.

jonathan03

AC Members
Feb 12, 2005
The red cherries do multiply fast so count on large numbers of them eating more algae. The amanos can't be breed in the aquarium as far as I know. I think they are all caught in the wild.

Just make sure you don't have big fish with these shrimp. Some of them, like the cherreis are very small. Angelfish might be able to take out cherries depending on the size of each of them. The fry cherry shrimp are food to any type of fish (even the smallest) so they need a species only tank for best breeding results. The adults can be kept with other fish.

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
I think if you're really interested in breeding Amanos it can be done, I remember reading that they need a period of salinity in order to hatch and survive at first. I'm not sure if anyone actually does it, but I'm pretty sure I read it can be done, it's just difficult.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store