please help id our pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishfreaks

AC Members
Dec 12, 2004
USA
we got this pleco from our lfs, and it is supposedly a gibicpts pleco, only i cannot find any info on such a thing. (our lfs is known for doing this on plenty of occasions) we were in need of a pleco, so we picked him up anyways, he did a really good job at cleaning up most of the algae for us but i would like to know more specifics about him. i hope that you can help id him, to me it looks like a clown pleco kinda, except that his colors are backwards. hes black with little squirly lines. the pleco is only going on two inches now. i have a few pics, but hes still shy yet. a trusted person at the lfs told us that when its bigger, its colors are very bright.

100_1731.JPG pleco.jpg pleco2.jpg

fishfreaks

AC Members
Dec 12, 2004
USA
here are a few more pictures, he came out last night long enough for me to get a few clicks in with the cam

100_1757.JPG 100_1758.JPG 100_1760.JPG

clayt101

Registered Abuser
To me, it looks like a common. It may be one of the ones that are sometimes named gibbies, but really aren't.

bowes813

Tank Info
Mar 26, 2005
Its common, I bet if you put him in a tank with a darker background and substrate he'll turn black.

Laylah

Laylah
Oct 22, 2004
Cape Town South Africa
yup

:hi: He's a common took me a while to ID mine because mine like yours is brown and tan not black like in 99.99% of the pictures. Not quite a tank buster you're looking at a 10"-20" fish (most max out at about 18" in aquariums so I'm told) but still pretty big :)

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
I agree with FishBait. I've been trying to identify the same fish, only mine looks less brown and more grey. Could've been the lighting at the store?

I just got him yesterday and when you compare him to my common plec, you can clearly see the difference.

Serg

TONO

AC Members
Jan 5, 2005
Its Common, they sell more than one species of plec under the name common.

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
TONO said:
Its Common, they sell more than one species of plec under the name common.
I only call plecostomus common, because you will find them at any fish store. L001, however readily available, is not as common as a pleco. But in my research of the L001, I was surprised to find that many people do call it a common plec.

I think it's easier to tag only one lorricade as a 'common plec' that way it helps the noobs understand exactly what they have, but to each his own.

Serg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store