Angel Swimming Loop-dee-loops

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Dallas, Texas
More Angel trouble. :sad :sad

Two of my three are fine. There is something wrong with the third one though. He is swimming in wierd looping patterns, turning upside down, sideways and even kind of "falling" backwards. Does anyone know what is wrong or what I can do to help him? None of my water chemistry has changed for weeks. I'm doing a 40% water change every 4-5 days, my temperature is constant, Ammonia and Nitrites are 0 and Nitrates are between 10 and 20 ppm. HELP please!

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Dallas, Texas
Anybody? He was laying in a plant this morning, gills working, and fins moving a little, but I'm betting he's dead by the time I get home. :sad

I'm having a real hard time with Angels for some reason. This is the 4th one to die on me out of the 6 I have tried. All my other fishies have done fine so far, 3 yo-yo's and 8 Harlequins. Are Angels normally this difficult to keep alive? Or am I just having a string of very bad luck?

Harry Tolen

Cichlid Fan
Aug 17, 2000
Union, WA, USA
Without doing a real deep dive (no pun intended) on your water parameters and those in the pet store(s) that you have gotten the angels from, there is not much more to be said on this subject. There is most likely something in your tank that the angels don't like, but what that might be is anybody's guess. It could be an unexpectedly high differential in pH, GH, or KH between your tank and the stores, or it might be heavy metal contamination coming from your plumbing, or some other contamination coming from the decor, but without getting your water tested professionally it would be irresponsible to speculate. The fact that your other fish seem fine is not really indicative of one thing or another, since different species of fish have different sensitivities and may well react to similar conditions differently.

The odds, however, are that it is not the fish themselves, since it has now happened with fish from two separate stores. And angels are not particularly sensitive, at least not the commercially raised ones usually available in stores.

I guess if I have any advice it would be to test all water parameters including pH, GH, and KH, get the matching info from the stores, and look at the possibility of getting your water professionally tested for heavy metals, etc. (sometimes your local water company will offer this service). Also check the tank for possible contaminants (a penny could be causing this problem, for example, as could a rock picked up from outside or a piece of driftwood not purchased in a stores). Or soap or detergent contamination in the containers you use for water changes could also be the problem.

Good luck and keep us posted.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store