So many choices in the filter forest I cant see through the floss

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

swt2th

AC Members
Feb 18, 2005
Could some one please tell me what would be the best power filter for a 55g fw tank. Ive looked at the web sites and seen about +60 different types. Whats the difference between wet/dry and just wet? Do I need that really? Am I really going to need a phosphate killer and a calcium whosawhatsis. I guess just give it to me straight what do I relally need I dont want 100 gadgets that will collect dust under the tank that I may use once and never again. What water test kit preferably inexpensive. What fitler, one that doesnt set me back for replacments too bad. I understand that more is better so I should expect 5x the volume for gph or more right? Are biowheels really the way to go Im not really stupid just really confused. Ive looked at the sites for Marine Land, Aquaclear, Tetra, Millenium as well as others. Oh yeah I was kinda hoping it would be a simple one to use too. Something that doesnt take a degree in engineering to troubleshoot and maintain.

Swimfins

This is as good as it gets.
For a 55g freshwater, you can use an aquaclear 500 hang on back filter, easy to use and you'll be fine,
but my favorite choice is a canister filter. A fluval 304 is ok, but an eheim or filstar is the better choice for quality and quietness overall and better if you want this tank to be planted (less surface water movement to maintain co2 in the water to help grow your plants). Forget the other do-hickeys. A good filter is all you need for freshwater.

But, for ease of cleaning and getting at the filter media, the aquaclear is easiest maintained. My canister is great, but getting off the lid is a chore.

Last edited:

musky48in

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
La Crosse
Visit site
There a lot of filters out there. It kind of depends on what you plan on keeping in the tank and how many of them are out there. Over the backs are great filters, but for me in my little apartment, they are a little too loud. I really like the canisters. Get a good one though. I have had a few and now have a Eheim pro II. Very quiet, well built, and no problems. Bad part is that they are expensive. You might look at Filstar canisters. I've heard great things about them and they are much less expensive.

chinnp

In denial of MTS
Mar 24, 2005
I'm going to confuse you by disagreeing with everyone here. I highly recommend the Penguin Bio-Wheel over anything.

cloud

AC Members
Sep 15, 2004
London, UK
A lot of people seem to recommend bio-wheels. I've never seen them in the shops over here but am thinking of getting one for my 33gal. But looking at the pics of them on the internat, they look as if they'd be a real problem with a hooded tank. Is that the case? and how quiet are they?

p.s. I've got an Eheim Pro II on my 23gal and I'm really happy with it. Bought it for £40 on eBay. It's 1st hand and there were plenty more of them from the same buyer at the time of purchace. so fingers crossed the seller's still has more in stock. They cost over £200 in the shops in London.

fishpoor

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
thumb Michigan
Visit site
The Aquaclear 500 ( they call it something different now). is probably the best filter. On my 50 gallon (seriously overstocked) I have the AQ 500, emperor 400 ( the penguin 170 is a better filter) , magnum 350 with spraybar, and a AQ 402 powerhead with prefilter. Changing 50% water once a week. I don't lose fish. I use the freshwaer master test kit (aquarium pharmaceuticals)

johnnyxxl

fishy friend of many
Mar 1, 2004
western NC
Visit site
my biowheel is near silent all I hear is a trickle of water. the wheel is silent and the filter itself is nearly silent. Works wonderfully.....

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
best?

The best is always a matter of opinion.... what we really need to know is what is most importnat to you. Is cost more important than silence? Do you want to clean it easily each week or wait a few months and do a much bigger job then? Are you going to be killed if you ever spill water on the floor? Do you have frequent power outages, as some units tend to not start up always after power outages.

If money is no object, get an Eheim Pro2 thermofilter. Silent, restarts always.

If it is get the AC500 but it can overflow if not cleaned on time and may not start right up after power outages (I dont have one, but have read this, so others may disagree)

I do have a penguin 330 and it is not silent, I hear some grinding a few days after cleaning and may need a new impellor, but the wheels are silent as long as water level is high. It is affordable and starts right up after power outages but often needs priming if a large water change was done that uncovered the input.

TommyR

Add water, makes it's own sauce!
Dec 15, 2004
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
I'll vote for Aquaclear. I have 2, one on a 5g and one on a 20 high and they are MUCH quieter than my mini bio-wheel on my 10g. The waterfall is wider on the AQ so no splashing sounds. Plus I find them easier to maintain. Bio wheels are o.k., I just prefer the AQs after trying them.

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store