Sea Urchins spines falling off

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryrazzer

AC Members
Nov 1, 2004
I have a small white sea urchin with red spines that i purchased a few weeks ago. Over the last several days i`ve noticed that quite a few of its spines have fallen off and its not moved from one area for quite a few days now.
Is this normal?

Any help would be great.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Are it's legs still coming out? Some spine loss is normal--they fall off and are replaced, but significant loss is a problem. How was it acclimated to the tank?

ryrazzer

AC Members
Nov 1, 2004
I just left it in the bag for 30 mins then put it in the tank. It was fine for about a week, moving around all over the place and cleaning rocks.
Most of the spines have gone from one side but its still alive, just sat in the same spot

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'd guess that you're seeing shock--reaction to the sudden change from the LFS water parameters to those in your tank. No way to tell how if or how well it will recover--the fact that it's lost a lot of spines is not good.

Acclimation for invertebrates should be done carefully, by either a drip from the tank into a container with the organism, or by adding 1/4-1/2 cup of tank water to the container every 10-15 minutes, dumping half the water when you've doubled the original volume, repeat twice.

ryrazzer

AC Members
Nov 1, 2004
Ok thanks for the advise. Im going to change stockists cause the guy im using at the minute doesnt tell me any of this.
One other question, I have a dragon wrasse, puffer and a parrot fish. They all seem to swim up and down in the corner or the tank. Not all together, but in general.
At one end i have a Fluval 104 and at the other just a bog standard, multi layer filter with polyfilter.
I want to start adding coral as all i have is live rock at the minute. Should i get any more type of filtration? Maybe a skimmer? I also have an under gravel filter.

Thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What are your nitrates? What corals are you thinking of getting? None of your fish are particularly reef safe...They may content themselves with a nip or two, or they may straight up eat anything your add. They may also be to blame for the urchins problems...especially the puffer.

ryrazzer

AC Members
Nov 1, 2004
No2 is zero and No3 is around 10. To be honest i havnt got a clue what type of coral to get. Id just like some nice looking plants in there and also to help with water quality and everything.
Funny you should say that about the puffer cause ive seen him hovering around the urchin quite a lot and picking at it.
Do you think i would benefit from a protein skimmer?

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
ryrazzer said:
Ok thanks for the advise. Im going to change stockists cause the guy im using at the minute doesnt tell me any of this.
Thanks
ryrazzer - there is a good chance that many stockists or lfs will not tell you everything and for a variety of reasons. sometimes they just dont have enough experience or knowledge to know.... sometimes they assume that the purchaser will know.. and sometimes they think they know but really don't - you've got to understand that many lfs stores will have capable employees who are wonderful when it comes to community fish...but the reality is that there are thousands of different creatures and variables that make it difficult for just one person to know it all about marine life.

it would be good practice to get on a forum like this right before you make a new purchase and use the search button to learn more about the creature you intend to buy. If you can't find anything helpful, then I would get into the marine newbie forum and specifically ask about the creature, its needs, acclimation and overall friendliness... it will save you some headaches later... and maybe some creatures too!

best of luck!

Last edited:

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
I think a tank almost always benefits from a skimmer. Removes potential pollutants, increases aeration.

I have seen urchins lose most of their spines (once due to a zoanthid spawn) and manage to recover completely. I worry that the puffer may keep if from recovering, though.

If you want to have corals, you may just want to get rid of the puffer. No point in adding good lighting if everything gets nibbled to death.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store