Bio-Wheel issue :help:

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DanChisum

Mother Nature's Son
Apr 1, 2005
I have one of the Penguin 330 dual bio wheel filters using regular filter floss. The issue I'm having is that the floss moves forward (I'm guessing because of the water going through it) and stops the wheel from turning. I know that with a mature tank the wheel will not turn as much, but not it's not turning at all.

I was going to fix the issue by using a safety pin or some string to tie the floss to the back media holder. Would this be the best solution or am I worried over nothing?

SCU33ZE

Toilet Power
Mar 23, 2005
South Miami
Check the floss cartrige guides,,they might be damaged(i doubt),also the cartrige may be bent ,so it might be slippin of the guides,if you are using regular floss,get the old ORIGINAL cartrige and strip it till u got the plastic frame,,use it as a holder for the floss,or tie the floss on it with trash bag ties or sumthing

Last edited:

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
loose floss?

If the floss is just loose that will happen. Try to locate a frame that fits the Penguin, they cost about $2.75 each and are a clamshell design, then you can fill the frame with whatever you want, I use cut to fit padding from a roll. I think I got from DrsFosterSmith.com, but also try BigAlsOnline and PetSolutions and ThatFishPlace. Made by Marineland, sold to be used with a carbon pack and pad they sell separately.

Meanwhile, you can try to use the frame from a bought cartridge, rip off the paddinga nd rubber band the loose floss to it, you'll need to add cutouts along the side so the rubber band will fit in and allow the frame to slide in correctly.

DanChisum

Mother Nature's Son
Apr 1, 2005
D'OH. I should have thought of using the old cartridge as the holder. That shows you what kind of idiot I am :p .
BTW, this is DIY media. I'm going to try to create a holder or just buy one from Bigalsonline or our local LFS.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
This is what I use

This is what I use, I got it from one of the regular places, DrFosterSmith, PetSolutions, BigAl's, or That FishPlace, but it seems hard to find now, you'd need to search for it. I paid something like $2.80 each for the 2 frames.

refillable cartridge

steveeas

AC Members
Mar 5, 2005
central texas
ahoy shipmate,
i have a 55g and have 2 emperor 400s driving it. i know it's overkill, but you can easily put your own filter stuff in the clamshell media holders for pennies on the dollar...good feeling to be able to replace weekly.
ciao,
steve.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store