scooter blenny

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Renee1

AC Members
Mar 15, 2005
I saw one of these little guys in my lfs a few weeks ago and my mom just fell in love with them of course haha. So, i got home and did some research on them and have been finding a lot of conflicting advice about how hardy they are and what they need. Does anyone have one or have any information on them?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. If this isn't a good fish to keep, I need a valid argument to convinve my mom she doesnt really want one haha. Last time she saw a cute fish we ended up with "Snuffy" ;) thanks

thegreatpablo

AC Members
Mar 12, 2005
I've read that scooter blennies are in fact hardy fish as long as you are able to provide the necessary food for them.

"The Scooter Blenny may be a difficult fish to keep due to its feeding habits. The Scooter Blenny will sift through the sand for food. Finely cut meaty foods and vitamin-enriched brine shrimp may be acceptable substitutes." from Liveaquaria.com.

From what I know, they feed primarily on copepods and amphipods, although they sometimes will take to prepared foods. In order to not take the risk of getting them on prepared foods, which can be hard to resist, you will want to have a well established tank of a year or more with a good colony of amphipods or copepods. Ideally, you would also have a refugium set up where you could breed and harvest these critters for your blenny to eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store