Dwarf Gourami fungus?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kires1

AC Members
Feb 20, 2005
My Dwarf Gourami (Jake) has three small white tufts, two along his top fin (right at the very outer edge and one on his tail fin (about 1/8" from the back edge). These little white tufts appear to have a fuzzy texture and are no more than 1mm in dia. I'm curious if anyone else has seen this before and can advise if it's a problem!? I'll try to snap a photo of it when I get home later. (I've battled Ich before and to be honest these white tufts don't look like the "crystal" salt-like Ich). If I could hold him in my hand, they look as if I could just pick them off!

I brought him home from my lfs about 12 days ago along with another male Dwarf Gourami (Elwood) which does not show any of these signs. When I brought the two home I did notice one white tuft on the top fin of Jake, but I think the other two appeared in the last 3-4 days. Jake has been "flashing" periodically, which I understand can be a symptom of a problem. He's eating well and seems to have found his place as the King of the tank. None of the other fish show any similiar signs. Any idea what this could be? Should I treat it, and if so how? I'm still within the warrantee period from my lfs, so I could take him back, but if it's not a problem I'd rather not. Most importantly, I don't want the rest of my fish to catch whatever it is!

Some details of the tank:

55 gal
3 Silver Tetras
4 Monk Tetras
4 Diamond Tetras
6 small Cardinal Tetras
2 Dwarf Gouramis
1 small Snowball Pleco
1 medium Red Tail Shark

Water parameters: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 5-10 Nitrates, 6.8 pH, hardness (soft/very soft)

Thanks!

Capps

Cichlid Freak
Mar 4, 2005
TN
Yes, this is fungus.
The fungus usually appears when(and where) the slime coating has worn off due to damage by parasites or injury.

Spot treatment with methylene blue, commercial fungus treatments(LFS will have several brands of medication), or a good salt bath works as well. Just maintain good water quality also.

If I was you, I would take it back and get a healthier fish. JMO

Last edited:

Kires1

AC Members
Feb 20, 2005
Thanks Capps,

I went back to where I bought him and unfortunately they were sold out, so I couldn't see if any others in the tank (where he came from) had the same fungus. In fact I couldn't find it on any of the varieties of Gourami's they had.

In any event I spoke with one of the knowledgeable staff (IMO) who sold me "All Natural PimaFix" as well as some Doc Wellfish's Aquarium salt. I performed a 30% water change (added 2 tablespoons of salt pre-diluted in a side pitcher of tank water) and dosed the tank with the recommended amount of PimaFix (1 teaspoon/10 gal). I plan to slowly up the salt 2 tblsp per day until I get to a total of 10 (5 days total). The PimaFix calls for daily doses for 7 days in a row, so I'll add accordingly in addition as the salt.

I tried snapping a few photos, but the fungus is so small I couldn't get a good shot worth posting...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store