ideal KH/GH/pH for fishless cycle?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ariston

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
I'm currently fishlessly cycling, and I've seen notes about pH or KH/GH affecting the cycle, but not much in the way of specifics about what constitutes good numbers for these values. What would be the ideal value for these numbers, if there is one? More generally, what are acceptable ranges?

I know the ideal values differ for different species of fish, I'm just wondering about the bacteria for now.

ariston

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Thanks, that info helps. I do know my pH right now, but I didn't want to post it, because I didn't want people just to say "that's fine" or something like that... I'm more interested in what's ideal. So is there an ideal pH? If not, what range is good?

ariston

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
No fish yet... but what do the bacteria like best? :) I'll change the water params later for the fish, if I need to. If I understand things correctly, I'll have to do big water changes after the fishless cycle is over anyway, to get rid of the nitrates.

Fishless cycling tries one's patience, so I'd just as soon tweak any parameters that might have a positive impact.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

ariston

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
My pH from the tap is actually about 7.5. The water in my tank is a little lower than that, but at least 7.2. I probably won't try to adjust the water, given that I'm reasonably close to the target value. But I thought there were things you could do to adjust the pH if you wanted to...? For example, my pH test kit (from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals) came with bottles of "pH up" and "pH down", for whatever they're worth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store