mysterious death

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Last night I came home to find my bumblebee goby dead in the backcorner of my tank. lately I've used a couple shrimp pellets and haven't had any frozen brine shrimp. Could he have starved or have fallen to my green spotted puffer? (who is normally very docile). I also have a peacock gudgeon, a brazillian puffer, 2 corys and 7 neon tetras.

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
my bumblebee never takes any food other than something he thinks is alive, it wouldn't matter how hungry he is, if it doesn't look alive, he's not going to eat it! So depending on how long he hasn't eaten, he may have starved! Also bumblebees can hide VERY well, so I find it doubtful the puffer could have killed him without you noticing the puffer chasing him around first.

Not to mention, if the puffer killed the bumblebee whats in store for your neons?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
Tyler, the BB goby and puffer can withstand freshwater, but they absolutely do better in a brackish setup.
I have 3 BB gobies that are in a freshwater setup and doing fine for close to a year. My guys like brine shrimp but are also fond of bloodworms. I agree with Goby Guy though.....I do know they wont go for pellets or flakes. How long have you been not using brine shrimp for him?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
I think you will have many more deaths to look foward to in the future if you don't separate the fish into 2 tanks. One for the GSP & gobies (BW) & another for the rest of your fish (FW). That GSP is eventually going to get much larger (6") & much more aggressive. I don't know how large your tank is, but I have a PG that is about 8" & eats anything it can fit into it's mouth.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
The GSP and the south american puffer are both brackish.
The south american puffer is found in FW rivers and light brackish waters. That's what I have them in. The other fish seem to have been doing great for over 10 months. However I just bought a 130 seastar and it's cycling right now. I plan on putting the GSP in with 7 silver scats and an archer fish I saved from a small pet store that had NO idea what brackish water even was!
I realized that the GSP was eventually going to become agressive toward the smaller fish so I made sure I'd be able to remove him when the time came. After all at this point he's only about 2 inches long, tiny compared to some of the GSP monsters I've seen. Out of curiousity, how long would it take for my GSP to reach 6-7" ?

Last edited:

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
and an archer fish I saved from a small pet store that had NO idea what brackish water even was!
Did you really save anything, now since they sold it, they'll try to sell more won't they? That's something I've always thought about do you 'save' the fish or just save him and get all his friends in the same position?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Actually, SA puffers are strictly FW. (I wouldn't argue w/Robert if I were you, he's been keeping puffers for over 40 years!) I bet those neons & corys aren't too happy with the salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store