Feeding Advice for CA's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigmixx

AC Members
Mar 25, 2005
I've just started by 75 gal CA tank and I need some advice on feeding. Right now, all I'm feeding them are medium Hikari Gold pellets. I give them about 7-10 pellets 3 times a day. I've been told by my LFS that this is too much but they clear them within the 2-3 minute time range. I have a total of 6 babies. 1 GT, 1 JD, 1 Oscar, 2 Cons and a Common Pleco. The biggest is my GT which is about an inch and a half.

1. Am I overfeeding the fish?
2. What's a good feeding schedule?
3. What foods (Brands too) are best for these cichlids? I won't be able to feed them the frozen stuff. (Wife hates fish food in the fridge) I'm looking for foods that will bring out the color and promote healthy growth.

Thanks

Bmeasure

Humble disciple of Jesus Christ
Aug 6, 2004
Savannah, GA.
Visit site
New Life spectrum is a great staple food for fish. I've used it almost 2 years now, and I'm very pleased. I have quite a varied feeding regimen for my fish, which I'm not going to go into now, but I'd suggest at LEAST 2 different types of food.

Personally, for all the cichlids you named, I'm surprised you aren't feeding up to 15 pellets a day! I think what you are doing is just fine though. Let the fish tell you when they need more food. .........NO, not from their puppy-dog eyes just staring at you all the time! :dive: The 2-3 minute rule is pretty good IMO. Don't be afraid to give your fish a fast (no food) every now and then also. Many people do 1 day a week. I did this for more than a year with some setups.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store