Picked up a mass of plants from a local pond today

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gambusia

AC Members
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
What should I do to disinfect them or should I dump them in with my tadpoles?

Thanks

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Pp

I'd soak in a vat of potasium permanganate (from Sears Hardware in water softener dept, $8), I once added plants from a ditch to my pond and got a huge outbreak of anchor worms on my koi and goldfish. $30 worth of medication later, I really wished I'd sterilized the plants.

Darkblade48

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
Argh! You guys can get Potassium Permanganate down in the states at Sears, while up here in Canada, I have no source of it at all!

I've been looking all over, and when I went to Sears and asked, the salesperson insisted that Potassium chloride was what I was looking for (But I had told him that it wasn't for a water softener! :huh: )

Back on topic, you can also use an Alum dip (more like a bath) or a bleach (!!!) dip. With the bleach dip though, I'd be extremely careful with the kind of plants you dip in (don't try it on finely leafed plants i.e. Cabomba)

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
bleach is hard on plants! I've hurt a lot of plants that way. Try alum. Also, see Aquabotanic library for tips on disinfecting plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store