Bio Spira

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Caleb

AC Members
Apr 14, 1999
Alton, IL
I manage the LFS fish department in my area and I was wondering....the rep from marineland came in and was trying to convince me to buy a product named "bio-spira"

he claims this product can completely cycle your fish tank in 24 hours and that you HAVE to stock it heavy within a short time or the bacteria that cycle the tank have nothing to feed on. Now while this seems like a good product and it makes sense on how the bacteria need the fish to survive.....I'm wondering has anyone bought this, how well did it work, and how much did you spend for a packet of it.....and was it worth it.

Basically, I'm trying to get the best stuff going in my department, and I know we have, by far, the cleanest tanks in town with the best looking fish....I just want to make sure I carry good products, that are reasonably priced, and do what they claim....

Any thoughts?

Caleb

DLeung10

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
@ 11.99 for 1 ounce pouch, good for 30 gallon tank

@ 22.99 for 3 ounce pouch, good for 90 gallon tank

NEEDS TO BE REFRIGERATED....

My LFS swears by it, I used it for 72 gallon setup 1 1/2 weeks ago. So far no problems with water or fish.

The tank is fully stocked with fish. No waiting for the 4 weeks
cycle period.

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Nice to hear you want to do things right in your store !!!

Well most people would say the bacteria in a bottle / can / plastic container / etc products don't do a thing (although my wife would differ - LOL - arguing that the little yellow container of dried who knows what (I think it was Biozyme) she bought and had me put in my tank helped it cycle. I doubt it - but I just nod and move on - :D )

That said, I never tried Bio_spira - but you could easily test out what the Marineland rep is saying.

Simply set up a new standalone tank (don't use any water, material, filtration from other tanks in your store), add the Bio-Spira, and dose it with enough pure liquid ammonia to get a test reading of 5 ppm - just like you were doing a fishless cycle.

Monitor Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate daily and see if the tank is indeed cycling. If it works as quick as the sales rep claims - you should see the Ammonia levels drop to zero in a couple of days.

No need to test it with live fish - the cheap household ammonia will do the trick. then come back and let us know the results.

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
DLeung10,

You are one of the first people I've heard actually use the BioSpira successfuly.

How many ounces did you add to your 72G?

Did you add fish right away or wait until the next day?

How many and what type and size of fish did you add?

Have you measured ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

It's easy to discount this product because previous products were relatively ineffective. Maybe Marineland's got it right?

I'd like to hear more about your experience with BioSpira.

DLeung10

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Used a 3 ounce pouch and put in the fish the tank day.

Most the the fish came from 2 smaller tanks. 2 New filters
and new gravel.

My kid's fish are:

7 Blood parrots ( 2 1/4 - 2 3/4 inches each)
3 Giant Danios ( 3 inches each)
2 Cory Cats ( 1 1/2 inches each)
4 Tiger Barbs ( 1 inch each)
2 Bala Sharks ( 2 1/2 , 3 inches)

Full tank as you can see......My kids want more but I am saying
no.....

No ammonia measured yet......I have not tried measuring Nitrites
at this time.

I recall reading some positive comments from New York
Aquarium in Brooklyn. Check out Marineland's website for
the testimonials

I selling a 3-month old 20 gallon AGA setup in the classified
section here.....take a look, I'm in New Jersey

Daniel

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Dleung10,

Wow. That's really encouraging. I am setting up a new 110G and biospira is something I may have to look at. Feedback has been encouraging since this product was released in June of 2002.

If the product continues to perform, it will be interesting to see how many people will refuse to leave the somewhat lengthy and arduous fishless cycling process behind.

Last edited:

Caleb

AC Members
Apr 14, 1999
Alton, IL
Yeah, really.....wow, its just hard to believe that it can be done in one day for someone so used to cycling and curing as I am. I mean, it makes sense....but it also seems kinda fishy at the same time.

They won't let me get a sample pack....they said, either you buy it and trust us or don't get it type of a thing.....so I've been researching the product...and I'll definitely buy it from another sales rep if I buy it at all....

Keep the comments coming

Caleb

DLeung10

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Some sales rep.........

One little pouch can you into a believer if it works....The point is
that he should let you see it for yourself. If it works for you, the
rep with have another account !

I have another 2 weeks to go...crossing my fingers....

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Dleung - it would be real helpful for you to test for Nitrites and Nitrates. not only for your own good, but also to help document the effectiveness or lack thereof of this product.

The no ammonia is a good thing - but they could easily accomplish that with some chemicals like those in Amquel / Ammolock / etc.

Seeing the presence of Nitrites / Nitrates early on would better prove how this is working

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store