Anemone id??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
This is an anemone which is at our lfs. i think it is from the Mediterranean sea. Can you help me id it pleeeaase? it looks very nice with its rose red coloring. Does anyone know if this anemone is ok to put into my tank. will it be compatible with damsels clowns or tangs? i dont want to Trial n Error it. Thanks in advance:)

In this photo there is one open and one closed anemone. Sorry for the poor quality pic:)

Last edited:

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
their colors are very nice. i have been looking them up, i saw some anemones which look similar to them: Actinia equina var. mesembryanthemum. but im not 100% sure. i would still like some expert advice.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Metin, I'm pretty sure it is a," tomato", Actinia . I'm no expert on Mediterranean anemones they usually are availiable here in the US. However some of it's cousins do show up from time to time and intertidal anemones have some things in common. It should be pretty hardy and I don't think that it's photosythetic so lighting shouldn't really matter much. It's also probably not dyed intertidal anemones tend to have pretty bright colors to protect them from the strong sun. It should be a pretty hard addition to your tank just make sure it's foot isn't ripped and that it will take foods. If it's like it's cousins," they are about as hardy as our rock anemone species" you shouldn't have any more trouble with it than you would with say a soft coral or a yuma.
hth
chris

yamanjazz

The Wizard of OZ
Mar 9, 2005
Missing In Action
Thanks Chris:) i am very happy to hear some good news on this subject :clap: , because i realy want to get one. i have looked everywhere :read: but i couldnt seem to find anything that tells me if it is safe to put it in the same tank with Tangs, Damsels and other fish from other places around the world. Can anyone help on that subject?

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Yup, only the tube anemones are really safe with fish and even then it's questionable. It can and will eat any fish that bumps into maybe even a clown under the right circumstances. Trust my I once had a $95 condy it cost me $5 to give you an idea. You'd be better off if you put it in a sump or a small species tank. It will need a very well established tank at least 8-12 months old to in order to really thrive and like all anemones you'll need to keep nitrates at under 20 ppm. It is pretty hardy for an anemone that's not to say that it's easy. In addition to normal meaty foods you might also consider giving it some sort of phyto and zoe plancton they get a lot of nutrition out of filter feeding. It's also possible that this guy will reproduce in your tank it will more or less spit out new anemones. The more you feed it the faster it will have babies ,"to bad you're on the other side of the pond," so it might even become a touch invasive in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store