This dam damsel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

piglet007

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
I just got two percula clown fish. I bought "defected" ones, they don't have the stripes completely around them. I put them in the tank and immediately that damsel came over to them all fluffed up and tried to bite them. He is torturing them as we speak and I know I have to get him out of there. I really didnt' want to do that because I feel bad, but I feel worse for the two he is harrassing. I was wondering though, if it's possible for them to get along or should I just not risk it. I thought about taking him out of the tank for a little bit, then putting him back in so maybe he wouldn't pick on them but I can't catch him. I put the green net in there and everytime he goes after the clows I go in after him. I figured maybe he would catch on to that but he isn't. Seeing him in "attack" mode is rather amusing but I don't want him to be doing that obviously. So should I just give up and get rid of him. Is there anyway he'd live in a bowl of saltwater with maybe a small piece of live rock?

Also, are all the fish going to do this. I wanted to add fish slowly but I dont' want this aggression every time I put a new fish in. FWIW, he isn't bothering anything else in the tank.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Damsels are very aggressive and territorial--some more than others. IME, if it starts attacking straight off like that, it's going to continue, and it will treat any newcomer the same way. Completely re-arranging to tank and then re-introducing the fish will sometimes help, but not in all cases.

JMO, but if you don't want it, see if the LFS will take it back. If not, try finding it a home. Putting it in subpar conditions (a bowl) is a poor option. You could certainly try your hand at a nano-setup, but all SW tanks need some water movement, heat, etc.

piglet007

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
That's what I figured. I think we are just taking him back to the store tonight. it was right off the bat too, as soon as the first one got put in. Poor larry.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Damsels and clowns are pretty closely related and don't get on well at all. I'd take it back to the lfs it won't cause you anything but trouble. You think you hate it now wait until it gets bigger! Damnsels are the biggest one of the biggest p.i.t.a. that you can have in your tank IMO,"unless you just want damsels only of course,". They don't play well with other and they'll pick at your inverts. I'd get rid of it if I could catch it
As to the other fish and problems well maybe. It depends on what size you tank is and what fish you're talking about. If you were for instance to add a 6 line wrasse you clowns would be as indifferent as the man in the moon. On the other hand if you were to add a skunk clown they'd be forced to remove the interloper asap one way or another.
hth
chris

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
yea, I agree with previus statements of their agression, they are little monsters. One really good way to get fish out of the aquarium is too use two nets. I have previusly spent up to 30 minutes trying to get a freeking algea eater out of fresh water tanks, and when I was getting my ocellaris out two days ago, it took me 2 minutes.

piglet007

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
Ok, thanks. We didn't get him back to the store last night, got tied up. The two clowns are now swimming all over the tank, yesterday he wouldn't let them out of the corner. I'm going to capture useing the two nets this afternoon and send him packing.

Raki

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Philadelphia Pa
Visit site
Take a plastic water bottle cut off the top and invert in back inside the bottle tape it in position. put some food in the bottle and place it in the tank on it's side and watch the damsel go in for the food.Grab the bottle and get it out of the tank. You usually can only do this once to a damsel as they will remember.

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
great idea with the plastic bottle, that method is also supposedly good for catching crabs.

stoneage

AC Members
Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
Not all Damsels are monsters over the years I have had three tanks and each tank had a Blue Yellow Tailed Damsel. These fish are remarkably laid back for Damsels and apart from an occassional dart at the Bananna Wrasse my current specimen never bothers any of the fish or inverts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store