Algae Identification

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcps95

AC Members
Jun 16, 2004
Redmond, WA
Visit site
So I've checked everywhere I know to check, and I haven't been able to definitively identify the type of algae I'm currently dealing with in my 55gal planted tank. I know some of it is diatom (brown) algae, but there's also some green and black-ish algae present. Doesn't appear very fuzzy or hairy, and it's growing on the glass, decor, and some of the plants.

Could someone help me identify this type or types of algae so I know better how to treat/deal with it?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

DSC00658 (Custom).JPG DSC00659 (Custom).JPG DSC00660 (Custom).JPG

Aquabum

Always B itchin
Nov 27, 2004
Wipe the algae off the glass with a tissue. Does it smell horrible? Could be BGA.

Lissette

Last edited:

ergo sum

AC Members
Mar 15, 2005
Just a guess here but it sounds to me like you have red, brown and green spot algae in there. Add some Flouish excel and start figuring out the nitrate and phosphate relationships. Otocinclus would help. What are the water parameters?

mcps95

AC Members
Jun 16, 2004
Redmond, WA
Visit site
Doesn't appear to be BGA. Doesn't form in slimy sheets.

Can't use Otos. I have Pictus Cats, which would more than likely make a group of Otos lunch.

I don't use Flourish Excel (it's a 55gal tank). I have DIY CO2. CO2 level is a little low (about 9ppm). Gonna tweak the recipe this week so I get more CO2.

Relevant water params:
Nitrate: ~10ppm
Phosphate: 5-10ppm, but coming down over the past few weeks. (I used to use a phosphate-based buffer before adding plants, and there was a significant amount in the tank.)

ergo sum

AC Members
Mar 15, 2005
Then you are probably on the right track. Excel will help in my experience. People here say to get the phosphate nitrate levels to 1 to 10. I have been trying to do this in the last few weeks. (by adding KNO3) It seems to work. I haven't cleaned the glass at all in the last few weeks and the green spot algae seems to be in retreat.

I think that if the algae appears black than it is in fact a kind of red algae. Even if it isn't long and slimy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store