Convict cichlid tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
:help: :help: yo im mike
right now in my tank i got 2 1.5'' cories and a bleeding heart tetra. iwas wondering if i can keep my cories cuz i luv them so much!!! i know ill get rid of my bleeding heart but hey!at 3$s a pop i coul dnot resist to get a couple(my slp sais that theyll be fine with cories but i need advice from someone that wont make money off this)by the way right now the pink convicts r about 3 inches a piece

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
N8DOGG said:
what size tank?
my tanks is a 20g with a huge amazon sword that takes up half of it ,an emptied out coconut. some slbs of slate and a couple of driftwood logs. i read recently that convicts woud kill an oscar 3x their size how the hell would a corie stand a chance?if you knw why my slp said so please tell :rant: :rant: :rant:

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
if its a 20 gallon long then I think that 2 convicts will be about all you can have. Convicts are very aggressive when breeding, so if you could get to females then it might not be to bad, also the females will tend to stay smaller than the males. With a 20 and a pair of convicts you might have a hard time keeping the cories alive, the tetras will get ate. Something like a tiger barb will do ok with the cons but with a small tank I wouldn't get to many. Also its hard to say that cons will kill everything because it also depends on the fishs personality. If you want to keep the cories and the tetras they will both be ok in the 20, and probably the best bet also.

Michael_G

AC Members
Mar 21, 2005
well i dont think ill be getting 2 females . my cories are gonna have to go the tetra too.unless i can find a small tank to keep them

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
That 20g is about right for a breeding pair, but for anything else? I think it would be tight. You might want to try discovering the joys of a species tank. Sounds boring right? Not with a pair of convicts. They will spawn whether you like it or not. Very good beginner cichlid, but aggresive when breeding (did I mention they will breed?)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store