10 Gallon Marine Tank Clown Fish proposal!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

skpdv8

Registered Member
Feb 12, 2005
Hi, I am proposing a mini marine aquarium. This would be the setup:

-10 gallon aquarium
-Flourescent Hood
-2 Penguin BioWheel 100's
-Living Sand
-Live Rock
-Carpet anemone
-2 clown fish to breed and live on the anemone
-Aquarium Salt
-Several snails, shrimp, etc...

Do you think this setup could potentially work? The tank would be very overfiltered and well cycled. Any suggestians.

The guy in my LFS thought it would be an awesome desktop piece because the clowns are fun to watch.

Thanks

Skip

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
not the anemonea!!! Way too small tank, and they are very hard to keep alive, under halides! You could get a boubble tip or simmilar, but not a carpet. When the clowns breed, their fry is extremley sensitive to current, they will get sucked into the power heads if you don't turn them off. Make sure you get a mated pair, not two different fish.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Everything but the anemone looks OK to me. Needs a whole lot more light, it will get way too big for the tank, and needs perfect water conditions. Personally, a 10 gallon is pushing it for a pair of clowns, but is doable.

If it were my tank, I'd scrap the penguins, add an HOB protein skimmer, plus a powerhead or two for circulation. With live sand and live rock, you won't need the biowheels.

Oliver, clown fry will not survive in the parents' tank no matter what. They need a separate tank, a constant supply of rotifers, and very gentle currents. Also, buying a pair of juveniles will result in you having a pair. The dominant fish will become the female.

There are two excellent books about taking care of and breeding clownfish, one by Frank Hoff, the other by Joyce Wilkerson. I can post titles if you're interested.

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
ok, i am not trying to debate with you here, because you obviusly have more experience, but it is my understanding that if you get two seperate clowns than it is a 50 50 chance of them mating, or one killing the other.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
It depends on how you go about it. You get two juveniles from a tank full of baby clowns, it will always work. Even if one of them has started to become dominant, the other will become the male.

If you buy two fish that have been alone, there's a good chance they will both have started to become female, and you will end up with one dead or tattered fish.

Here's a very nice writeup on pairing clowns:http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=215098

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
Once alone in a tank the clown will become female... if you put another female with it they'll fight. If you put a small one in, they'll prolly fight but they should get over it. If you put two babies in, then they will have a board meeting and decide which will be female... the other will stay male, no problems. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store