Ropefish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

waterspirit

Charlie don't surf...
Dec 11, 2002
Oak Grove, KY
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a ropefish. However, I don't know much about them other than the fact that they are nocturnal and that they are master escape artists.
I've read that they prefer live food. Will ghost shrimp suffice?
Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

NJDUDE358

AC Members
Jan 29, 2003
Visit site
Ropefish are actually a kind of bichir. So when you think of what to feed them, just think of what you would feed any other bichir. Ghost shrimp would be good. Other options are frozen food, brine shrimp, or maybe even carnivorous pellets. I think it's a lot easier to get them to eat different foods than live than most other fish.

They get basically around 16", but since of their eel-like shape I would think a 55-75 gallon tank would suffice. Good luck on the fish. They are pretty cool once you know how to properly take care of one.

Lampy

Registered Member
personal experience

I've had a rope fish for over a year now, and it's doing just great. I originally fed it earthworms fairly religously, but it wasn't always eatting them. Then I put in some guppies, which of course did the guppy thing.. and kept breeding.. and the rope fish lives very happily.

I will mention that we went through 3-4 rope fish before we got one to live. 2 were DOA when we got home.. they had used oxygen over the water when packing.. and since rope fish are air-breathers... they stressed and passed out.. and drowned.. :(

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
From what I have read, ropes are also very very susceptible to flukes (AFM, late 2002-early 2003, can't remember which article...) so make sure that yours is treated before it is shipped to you!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store