Fire belly newts..?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
These little creatures look so cool, that I'm thinking about getting one to add to my aquarium.

Can they be kept with my corries in a completely aquatic set-up? Is 10 gallon way too small for them, or is it sufficient?

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
No, they would rather have some land to sprawl up on. I have two in a river type tank....here's a pic of it...

sorry, it's a bit large

Here's a decent pic of the newts themselves...

They spend ALL of their time on the land and never go into the water on thier own. I feed mine live black worms on occasion, but mostly FD tubifex worms which I soak then stick on the end of a chopstick and put it in front of them. They snap it up pretty quickly. I feed them about every other day.

I have a female betta, golden danio and female gold guppie in the water, with a sponge filter.

Last edited:

04cobratorchred

AC Members
Mar 8, 2005
Emg said:
It's a 5 gallon I picked up at the dump for nothing...lol. I siliconed a shelf onto the side for them.

you have anymore pics of that set up its very nice. Also what kind of plants do you have in there and where did u get them. Thanks a lot.

WinterWind

Mad pianist
Feb 11, 2005
Emg, I might want to set up a tank like that, but perhaps not quite as extravagent.

I have some questions that would be nice if you could answer.

What kind of filteration do you use, and what kind of lighting do you need to grow those kinds of plants? Thanks.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I don't know what the plants are. I picked them up at PetCo in the lizard section. One of them is some kind of fern and the big one in the corner will also grow rather well underwater.

I have one sponge filter in there which I tilt up so that the outflow bubbles on the surface of the water. The light in there is a flourescent and came with the hood. It's a little T5 11 inch bulb...don't know what the wattage or K value is.

It's really not that elaborate...lol...I just put some flourite on the platform, which I have since replaced with Echo-Complete substrate....went outside and picked some nice moss which I have growing all over my yard...and plopped a few of the plants in there. They are thriving nicely so apparently they're getting plenty of light from that bulb..whatever it is...and they're happy with the substrate.

The newts like to hang out underneath that plant in the corner. These guys are neat, I would encourage anyone to get some...real cuties ! :D

Last edited:

Nuriel

AC Members
Sep 6, 2004
Seattle, Wa. USA
www.43things.com
this is an awesome set-up, i would love to get a twenty gallon going with a vine snake and maybe some type of ram.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store