Something up with my Chinese Algae Eater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CMac

Native Longhorn
I don't know if it's pregnant, as I'm not even sure if its a female but for the last few days it's pretty much stayed in one of two spots. One right in the front of the tank, just laying there and the other with it attached to the upper rear corner of the tank with its sucker actually out of the water. Now I know they tend to just lay in spots for long periods of time, but it's never stayed in only two places before for so long. I do have another CAE, thats slightly larger, and I know the larger one has chased it away a few times. But it's never just stayed in this spot for so long without looking around for food. Also its belly is getting pretty large as if it was pregnant. How do you even sex them?

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

C

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Primary diet? Sounds like constipation/internal issue to me--unlikely that a CAE will breed in the aquarium.

CMac

Native Longhorn
update

well it apparently wasn't pregnant. Although the stomach really ballooned the last couple of days as if it was pregnant, i came home tonight and it was dead. its skin went really dark, much darker then a typical CAE. At least that I've ever seen.

Fish dont get berry-berry do they? HA bad joke. Anyway I was feeding them wafers from the local pet shop. All my other fish seem to be doing fine.

Thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store