Snails are Tough!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Dallas, Texas
About a month ago one of my snails turned up missing. I'm not sure exactly what kind of snail they are(they weren't labled) but I think they are apple snails. I noticed one was MIA right after I had added a new layer of gravel, so I thought that I had just buried him and that he would eventually dig his way out. After about 3 weeks I realized that I still had not seen him reappear, so I started searching for him. I found him under my big wooden tank stand. He had pulled in his foot and sealed up his shell. He had spent about 3 weeks out of the water, but just out of curiosity I dipped out a bowl of tank water, dropped him in with an algae tablet, sealed the bowl and left it overnight. The next day he was slowly working his way around the bowl and had eated most of the tablet! I never thought that an aquatic snail could possibly survive that long out of water. He seemed a little "shrivled" but over the last week has fattened up a bit and looks like he is going to be perfectly healthy. I cracked a chunk off his shell getting him out from under the stand and it seems to be healing over, but has a definete "scar" so I can tell him apart from the other snails. I started calling him Traveler. :p:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
If your water lacks hardness I would add something like cuttlefish bone or shell to the tank. This will help the snails grow better shells. If the carbonate hardness (KH) is high in your tank then things should be fine.

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
Cuttlefish don't have bones I thought...

Boohoo

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Bridgewater,Nova Scotia
I have a black mystery snail in my goldfish tank. When I got home from work last night at 2AM he was on the cruise. This morning when I went to feed the goldies no snail. I looked everywhere in the tank and then I looked behind the stand. There he was on the carpet. My first thought was that he would be dead. I plunked him back in the tank and he is on the cruise again. Took about an hour after I put him back in the water before he poked out. Good to know that yours was okay after that long out of water.

Holly9937

AC Members
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Now I'm paranoid :thud: !! I just asked a question about a week or so ago, if the snail would leave the tank and I was more or less reassured that it wouldn't happen!!! Well, at least he might do ok if he does make an escape!! I would just be afraid that it would make a very tempting toy for my cats, or the dogs for that matter :dog:

Boohoo

AC Members
Feb 22, 2005
Bridgewater,Nova Scotia
I was under the impression that the snail wouldn't leave the tank either. I decided to cover the small space that he escaped from, you may want to do the same. In my case I think he climbed up the air tubing that runs my airstone. I have seen him at the water level on the tubing before.

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Dallas, Texas
Boohoo said:
In my case I think he climbed up the air tubing that runs my airstone. I have seen him at the water level on the tubing before.
I'm pretty sure this is exactly how Traveller made his great escape. The lost that this tube (and some others) run to on my tank was the only opening large enough for him to have used. I just tapped some Saran wrap over the hole.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store