New Set-Up Review

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mgosson

Registered Member
Apr 2, 2005
Starting from scratch and I do mean SCRATCH...

After a 90 day deliberation, researching books and various forums I’ve decided to settle on a saltwater tank predominately for fish only with live rock. .

Here’s a rundown of what’s on my list. Please bear in mind, I generally do not cut corners on hardware so please chime in and critique.

54 gallon reef ready tank corner, All-Glass with overflow.
Mega overflow kit.
All-Glass versa glass top.

Oceanic 54 corner stand.

AE Tech, Reef Devil protein skimmer with 12 gallon sump (integrated)

Iwaki return pump

2 power heads

150-200 watt heater (in-sump)

1 – 30” 130 watt lights – Power compact, Coralife Lunar
1 – 20” 90 watt lights – Power compact, coralife

Thanks for the input
M Gosson

Last edited:

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Welcome to AC!
Overall, it looks like a good plan. The lights will be great for a FOWLR, maybe even a little more than needed. You can certainly add some of the hardier corals to the mix.

Of the pumps and powerheads, what sizes were you thinking? For nice, surgy motion, you might try a wavemaker like OceansMotions or a SCWD. Also, although Iwaki pumps are great, Pan World/Blue Line pumps are made to the same standards but are cheaper.

Last edited:

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
You might also condsider getting a q.t. tank it will really help save you a bunch of money heart ache and bother. Keep it simple and it won't cost more than about $50 and it will save you a bunch more than that. Just a plain bare bottom w/sponge filter and strip lights. keep a spare sponge in your main tank ready to go.
Welcom to A.C.!!!
Chris

mgosson

Registered Member
Apr 2, 2005
I agree and point taken about a smaller tank for acclimation and q.t purposes.

When I buy a q.t rig do you advise I keep it running all the time with water changes, heat etc..

M Gosson

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I don't. You can keep media for it in the sump of the main tank, and just pull that out on need. You don't want anything else in a q-tank--some chunks of pvc or plastic plants for cover and to reduce reflections. Substrate just makes them harder to clean, and any rock you put in there may be killed if you need to medicate. I don't even light mine--just have them in ambient room light, use a flash light if needed for a specific check.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store