How Many Does It Take....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mike Rathnow

AC Members
Mar 19, 2005
Michigan
I've been reading a lot of post from people asking how many of this or that does it take to clean a tank. I'm not here to slam anyone or put anyone down. But when you decide to set a tank up. That's the responsibilty of the owner. You're creating the enviroment to keep and raise aquatic creatures that your in complete control of. You're now Mother Nature, and everything you put in that aquarium depends on you for it's health, food, water chemistry, filtration everything.

In nature, Mother Nature takes care of her lakes, rivers, ponds, streams, creeks, or what ever by creating natural flows, either from underground water sources, rain, snow, or a hundred of other way to keep water from stagnating, and moving. Providing food, be it some form of plant life like algae, insect life, or crustacea or other types of forage for food.

Everything has it's own part it plays in this watery enviroment. When you decide to setup this in an aquarium, Now it's up to you to control how everything works. If you're having a algae problem, don't expect fish like otocinclus affinis, gyrinocheilus aymoonieri, crossocheilus siamensis, or the many different species of plecostomus, or different species of snails to solve the problem. "IT'S YOUR PROBLEM". You're probably getting too much sunlight or artificial light in the tank causing this growth of algae. You took what Mother Nature does, and condensed it all into this small tank. Remember when this happens in nature. Everything usually goes stagnant, there's a lack of oxygen, and everything dies. You don't want this to happen in your aquarium.

That's why weekly or bi-weekly maintenance is required. Water changes, vaccuming your gravel or substrate when needed. And removing that excess algae growth. Reducing some of the plant life growing. It's all up to you. Yes, certain species do and will eat algae, and will help to keep an aquarium clean to some extent. But don't rely on this alone.

Aquariums are beautiful to have and keep. But they also take a lot of time and care to keep that way. But remember this. You're the one in complete control. You're now Mother Nature. It's up to you how everything lives, and survives.

Like I said in the beginning. This isn't meant to slam or put down anyone.

Mike

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Good post, too many people think that fish can do their work for them.

(but generally algae is a lack of balance, light doesn't cause algae unless there is too much food - thought I would clarify that).

Mike Rathnow

AC Members
Mar 19, 2005
Michigan
TKOS... I have to disagree with you

Food doesn't have anything to do with algae growing. I have a dozen different tank, I grow nothing but plants in. There isn't any type of food going into those tanks. I still have to watch and clean algae from these tanks. Light has everything to do with algae growing. Especially tanks that have a lot of direct sunlight, or tanks that have lights on for 10 to 12 hours a day. Actually the nutrient levels in the water and the amount of light is what causes algae to grow. That's one of the reasons why frequent water changes help. It's takes out a lot of the nutrient levels out of the water. I will guarantee this. Controlling the amount of light in your tank, along with frequent water changes will help eliminate a lot of peoples algae problems.

Mike

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Umm, nutrient level is food for plants and algae is just a plant. Plants or algae can't grow without food so algae can't grow without food. Sunlight itself is not food. Excess sunlight in the pressence of excess food can lead to algal growth but excess sunlight and no food does not.

Mike Rathnow

AC Members
Mar 19, 2005
Michigan
Well If I have To Prove my point then....

Here's what green algae is. Green algae is the most diverse group of algae with more than 7000 species growing in a variety of habitats. The "Green Algae" is a paraphyletic group because it excludes the plantea. Like the plants.The green algae contains two forms of chlorophyll which they use to capture light energy to fuel the manufacture of sugars. But unlike plants they are primarily aquatic. Because they are aquatic and "manufacture their own food". These organisms are called "algae". Along with certain members of the chromista, the rhodophyta, and photosynthetic bacteria, even though they do not share a close relationship with any of these groups.

That is also the reason you put chlorine in your swimming pools. It kills and prevents the growth of algae. Also take a jar of water, and leave it out in the sunlight for a week or so. Where did that algae come from. No foods of any type in the jar of plain water. All algae need to grow is a lot of light.

I won't argue about this anymore.

Mike

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Well don't argue all you want but try that experiment with a sealed jar of distilled water. All water has some availabel food source in it. And a swiming pool, I mean the chlorine is there to kill off biological material. That is what bleach does. People in pools, leaves, pets, etc.. all lead to what? Food for things like algae. Tada!!!

Plants in tanks with no added food equals what, decaying plant matter that means what, food!!!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Mike Rathnow said:
I've been reading a lot of post from people asking how many of this or that does it take to clean a tank. I'm not here to slam anyone or put anyone down. But when you decide to set a tank up. That's the responsibilty of the owner.

When you decide to setup this in an aquarium, Now it's up to you to control how everything works. If you're having a algae problem, don't expect fish like otocinclus affinis, gyrinocheilus aymoonieri, crossocheilus siamensis, or the many different species of plecostomus, or different species of snails to solve the problem. "IT'S YOUR PROBLEM".
Bravo! Agreed. I recently got a job at a LPS with a big fish room, and can't believe the number of requests for 'janitor fish'. I've had customers look at me completely baffled when I tell them the easiest way to get the algae off the tank walls is with a magnet/scraper or their hand - they expect the fish to clean it up and are confused by having to do maintenance. I believe it's up to the hobbyist to maintain the environment, and no fish should be purchased as a janitor and then returned to the store when it 'doesn't do its job'. Glad someone finally stood up and said it so well :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If the algae spores are introduced to distilled water, they will grow--no other food source is really needed for some types to thrive. I've had algae grow in a bottle of 'drinking' water from one of those machines--nothing else was ever added, but it would turn green in about a week. Rinsed it with bleach, let it air dry, and it hasn't come back yet.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Orion, did the water have added minerals? Many of them do, which may be how the algae survived.

On this note, though, sometimes things like hair/beard algae get way beyond the point of where waterchanges and light reduction will help ( yes... i've been there) . Some fish and other creatures can be helpful if most or all other avenues have executed.

I agree with the base of this post completely... people always try to get the easy way out

ashdavid

In Search Of Better Water Quality
Mar 27, 2005
Japan
Mike Rathnow said:
Here's what green algae is. Green algae is the most diverse group of algae with more than 7000 species growing in a variety of habitats. The "Green Algae" is a paraphyletic group because it excludes the plantea. Like the plants.The green algae contains two forms of chlorophyll which they use to capture light energy to fuel the manufacture of sugars. But unlike plants they are primarily aquatic. Because they are aquatic and "manufacture their own food". These organisms are called "algae". Along with certain members of the chromista, the rhodophyta, and photosynthetic bacteria, even though they do not share a close relationship with any of these groups.

That is also the reason you put chlorine in your swimming pools. It kills and prevents the growth of algae. Also take a jar of water, and leave it out in the sunlight for a week or so. Where did that algae come from. No foods of any type in the jar of plain water. All algae need to grow is a lot of light.

I won't argue about this anymore.

Mike
I just want to clarify something. What Tkos is saying is absolutly correct, there is plenty of nutrients in tap water to sustain algae growth, nothing added. Any decaying plant and animal material will become food for algae, even minute traces will suffice. The statement you made about algae just needing sunlight to grow is absurd , it needs the combination of nutrients ,a carbon source and light to photosynthesize ,without one of these growth is impossible. It is like saying all fish need to grow is water, it is the same kind of statement. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store