Six Gallon Cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Dallas, Texas
Are there any Cichlids that would work in a 6 gallon Eclipse bowfront tank? I currently have a 55 gallon community (my first tank) but I'm really interested in Cichlids. My current space is VERY limited, so I would like to do a very small tank. Is there a Cichlid that would do well on it's own in a tank of this size? Or even one small enough for a mated pair, 2 ladies and a gent, etc?

AC Members
Mar 2, 2005
Dallas, Texas
OrionGirl said:
Shellies!
Would that be this little guy?

Neolamprologus brevis

(I love Google) If the information from this page http://www.worldcichlids.com/fotm/apr2004_Neolbrevis.html is accurate then a pair of them sounds perfect! Lots of personality and a good temperment for a small tank. Does the information at that page seem fairly accurate to you OrionGirl? If so, we have an early leader in the clubhouse. ;)

mooman

Scratch my belly Human!
Mar 8, 2005
Columbus, OH
I just picked up a bunch of those at an auction. So far they are great. Brevis do really well in very small tanks (I've heard as small as 5g). I don't know why people insist on stocking 10g tanks with boring tropicals, and livebearers that get even more boring when you cram them in a small tank. If everyone was forced to own just one cichlid (and with species like N. brevis there is no excuse not to.) there would soon be no demand for many of the staple fish that we see today.

My appologies if I have offended any of you, but it's the truth, your fish are boring. ;) (I say this in the nicest possible way, and with smile on my face)

Check this site out for great info on shellies

www.shelldwellers.com

xhibition

AC Members
Jun 6, 2004
SF Bay Area
Visit site
I agree, in fact brevis are pretty much the only shellies that can be housed in a 5gal. They only require about a 5 inch diameter in territory. Other shellies especially unestablished pairs need atleast a 10gal. Brevis will even share the same shell on ocassion, just be on alert becasue when they boot their young thats it, they'll even eat some. THE REALITY, to hard to find brevis in mosty fish stores. I only know one around here that had some and they go for a good price. Would be nice if you could find or order some from the net. There is a breeder in my area who puts brevis @ "mtoto" on aquabid for cheap. Let me know if you want his name. If you find there is no need for a dither.

xhibition

AC Members
Jun 6, 2004
SF Bay Area
Visit site
yup, but if you want prettier one try out brevis mtoto or brevis katabe

kaneida

AC Members
Apr 5, 2003
QC, Philippines
Visit site
A pair of brevis in a 6 gallon tank would definitely do well. They dont grow too big, males usually max out at 2.5 inches. Here's an old photo of one of my breeding pairs.

Slashdogg

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
I would give teeth and other useless body parts to get my hands on some shellies... Despite living on the same continent that shelldwellers come from I've never ever seen one in real life. I asked about them at the LFS and the guy (who is normally pretty clued up, I get on well with him) kinda went "whats that?". Does anyone know of a place that will ship them internationally?

mooman: I totally agree. My betta has a fair amount of personality, but as for the rest of my fish, they do seem a bit boring at times. Dont get me wrong, I love keeping them, but sometimes I just wish..... *sigh*

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store