20 high all glass tank...good choice for planted tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
You could do LOTS with a tank that size. I've got a 14g with a 10" x 20" footprint, and even in that limited space I think I've got a fairly nice planted tank.
You may want to consider smaller, slower growing plants if you're looking for lower maintenance - IME it's easy for stems to overgrow a smaller tank very quickly, and the pruning required can get tedious.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I would recomend that you put three 15 watt flourescent bulbs over that size of a tank. I had an eclipse hood with 2 bulbs and that was only bairly enough light for the plants, and I had low light plants. And if the bulbs were over 6 months old the reduced light wasn't enough for any growth.

so yeah use a little more light than 1.5 wpg and things will grow more.

Kasakato

SatCan
Sep 24, 2004
Toronto, Canada
SnakeIce said:
I would recomend that you put three 15 watt flourescent bulbs over that size of a tank. I had an eclipse hood with 2 bulbs and that was only bairly enough light for the plants, and I had low light plants. And if the bulbs were over 6 months old the reduced light wasn't enough for any growth.

so yeah use a little more light than 1.5 wpg and things will grow more.
Thats exactly what I was going to say. And thats exactly what I do.

wigglejaggles

AC Members
Oct 26, 2003
north tonawanda, ny
Visit site
thanks

thanks all,

I just went to my lfs and checked the tanks out tonight.

the 20H looks nice. I don't have alot of room in the apartment my wife and I are in so this tank with the pine cabinet nestled in the corner of our living room sounds perfect.

I have a 24 inch coralife power compact 6500K 65watt ready to go on top. I plan to use diyco2 with the hagan ladder...eco complete substrate. Have my fert regimen all set to go.

take care,
jared

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store