"sanitizing" plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lesley

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sacramento/Davis, California
Visit site
I have some java moss (actually, I'm not entirely sure that it's java moss) that I got from the giant filter at my LFS. The only problem is that there are a ton of snail eggs in it as well as planaria and some worms and leech-looking things. I remember that some people used something to kill the unwanted organisms on their plants before putting them into their tanks. I would assume that a bleach dip would not work for java moss. Do I have any other options?

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
The article I have says, "Mix at 10 mg/liter of water for a 10-minute soak."

Don't forget to wear rubber gloves (like the nice ones you had in your pic).

lesley

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sacramento/Davis, California
Visit site
I rinsed my java moss in fresh water really well the other day because the water that it was in was getting kind of smelly, probably due to the die off of some of those foreign critters. But, after swishing it around A LOT, there were still some worms and tons of snail egg clusters. Gross.

Do I need to worry about my moss being toxic after the potassium permanganate treatment? Should I still keep it in a jar for a while?

TBA, why wouldn't this work for java moss?

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Do I need to worry about my moss being toxic after the potassium permanganate treatment? Should I still keep it in a jar for a while?
I know that some products that create 'clear water' use this for their active ingredient, so (depending on the concentration) it should be OKAY for your fish. Also, the products also tell you to take the carbon out of your filter when you 'treat' the tank, so I think carbon takes it out of the water, I'm not POSITIVE about that last part, does anyone else know about that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store