sick koi (fungal??)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tbone13

Registered Member
Feb 2, 2005
Detroit area, Michigan
A friend of mine has asked me for advise on treatment for her koi. It is 6 years old and has what she thought was green algae growing on it's dorsal side. As we live in Michigan and the weather in April changes by the hour, I think it has a fungal infection that has algae stained. It also has red streaks along the side of the body that could be sores. A few weeks ago we had temps in the mid to high 70's with one day that hit 82. The very next weekend the highs never made it to 45 and we got hit with 2" of snow. This can cause A LOT of stress to an outside environment, and is what led me to believe it's fungal. The water quality is perfect, and all pumps and filters are working fine. The fish is eating well and is active. No "flashing" on the bottom or side of pond. Can anyone throw in their 2 cents as to what the best way to treat this would be. I recommended that she add some pond salt as soon as she can. But as far as medication, I have some ideas but not being familiar with ponds and it's inhabitants, I don't want to kill off all her fish.

Any suggestions?

koi.jpg

Last edited:

JH

AC Members
Sep 11, 1998
I would also advice her to move the sick koi to a Q-Tank. This could be something simple like a 100 - 300 gal stock tank. The rubber kind that you can find at farm supply stores. I would use pond water to fill it up and be sure to have a filter or at the very least a pump running. Oh yeah don't put it in full sun. It can heat up real quick. Especially this time of year.

I would for sure move the fish to a tank of its own. Myself I would probably isolate the fish for at least 4 weeks maybe longer depending on the condition of fish before I would re-introduce to pond. Treating a entire pond can be costly and time assuming. I wouldn't worry about treating the entire pond. Just monitor the rest of the fish for a few weeks and go from there.

I wish I could tell you how to treat the fish but I have never had any fish get sick in my pond yet. Been lucky this is my 4th year with my pond. I 2nd the koivet.com. Try there. I'm sure you will find some answers. Good luck. Keep us posted on the condition of fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store