Bubble Tip Anemone Moving

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RevJDA

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2005
I have a green BTA that is moving all over the tank. It's been in the tank for about 9 months and for the first four our five months stayed in the same place, in a depression between two live rocks. Then, it moved over the rocks and rested behind the rocks for another month or two. When it emerged it has been all over the rockwork--on top of rocks, in crevices between rocks, behind rocks, etc. And last night it climbed up the side wall of the tank (75 gallon) and is resting near the top of the tank behind some of the plumbing. Does anyone have a clue about this behavior?

The water parameters are all excellent, bett than when I introduced this anemone to the tank. It has grown, eats well (likes small pieces of shrimp which I feed it daily), and it is fully inflated. Nothing new has been introduced to the tank except for a little more live rock (3 med. size pieces) and a powerhead near the surface of the tank for better water movement. The lights in the tank are newer (under 4 months old--dual power compact 10,000 K and dual actinic). Thanks for you input.

Jerry

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Sounds like it's just trying to find someplace it likes. Any obligates in with it? Anenomes really do better with some clowns or other obligates, while clowns are fine without an anenome.

RevJDA

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2005
Thanks for your reply. Yes, there are two tomato clowns with this BTA and they seem to get along very well.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
At a guess, it may be trying to find a place where the current is more/less. Hard to way which, but adding the power head may have stimulated it one way or the other. They can be really picky. Anything in the tank it might hurt while it's roaming? Or anything it might get hurt by?

RevJDA

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2005
I am more concerned about it hurting something else. Last week on one of its excursions it lay over the top of a colony of pumping xenias and 2 small birdnest corals. There is a condylactus in the tank that could hurt it, but its on the other side away from the BTA. They have tangled once before. RE the powerhead: I understand that it may be responding to the change in current, but it started moving around the tank several weeks before I added the powerhead. And its the smallest Rio I could find.

Jerry

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I would so get rid of the rio. I've seen lots of posts about oil slicks so just a word to the wise. What other softies do you have in the tank and what sort of lights do you have? I'd guess that there either isn't enough light or there is a flow issue it also might be irritated due to chemical warfare from other softies in the tank. Try running carbon and see if it chills out a little.
Sorry for the pretty blind quess but, it's so hard to say it could be any of the above issues or more. As another option it might be trying to get away from your tomato's if they are a lot bigger than it is they might be beating on it too much.
hth
chris

RevJDA

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2005
Thanks for your reply. I thought about the clowns. One of them is fairly large, but not larger than the BTA. However, I have noticed it "beating" on it quite a bit and I wondered if it was trying to hide. This evening, it seems to have found a resting place between rocks in a sort of cupped area. And it really looks more at home than I have seen it for several weeks. In fact it looks quite beautiful in this liitle niche.

By the way, thanks for the heads up about the Rio. I'll look into canning it ASAP. Any suggestions for a more reliable pump?

Jerry

gio17vani

Registered Member
Jan 12, 2005
I've never had any problems with a maxi-jet 1200(have 4 of them 2 for 6 yrs) but I am not sure how well the smaller ones hold up in saltwater if you were looking for a small one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store