Tang feeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cat

AC Members
Aug 3, 2004
Norfolk
Visit site
I have just introduced a yellow tank to my tank, I undersatnd a 50gal is border line size wise, although because its a corner tank the dimensions means it has a its largest point 5ft with of open swimming space. Its just a juvinile about just under 3" in size so I will see how it goes. What I am wondering about is food, when I feed he gets scared and hides behind the rocks. I have loads of purple spindly alge which I thought he would eat but dosent seem interested and I read that its easy for a tang to starve as they need to graze constantly. Is there anything else I can give him?

Oliver

Oliver
Jan 17, 2005
Perth, Western Australia
don't you have any hair algea of some sort in your tank? they love that, my foxface grazes on it all the time, even though he gets food. Feed him nori, which is the seaweed paper used for sushi. Tie it too a rock or a magnetic glass scraper of lettuce clip or something, and cut a 1cm wide, about 10cm long, strip, and part it down the middle with a pair of scissors. They love nori, and it is great for them, but it may take some time for the to get used to it. It took my foxface 1 week to start eating it, now he loves it. Also, get brine and mysis shrimp and put it in the tank, with the powerheads still on, so he dosn't have to swimm next to the other fish to get it, this aswell may take some time to get him used too. Get the nori, do as I stated before then leave it there from the morning to the next morning. If he dosn't eat it, take it out and try again after 1 day. Put it close to where he hides, and at the start try to make it look as natural as possible, becuase they don't know what it is. Good Luck :)

tampa4

AC Members
Feb 15, 2005
give your tang 4-5 days to adjust to the tank. I introduced a yellow tang last week and it took him about that time to feel comfortable, start eating, etc. Some tangs take up to a week to really start eating, so don't be alarmed at all. When you feed him, immediately step away from the tank so that he'll come out and eat. At first I was worried about my tang as well, but now he's eating like a champ.

Cat

AC Members
Aug 3, 2004
Norfolk
Visit site
excellent, thanks for the advice, I have a load of red algae and green hair algae, although I didn't think any fish chose to eat hair algae unless there was no other option. I will keep an eye open for the next few days to see if he perks up.
Cheers

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Hey, keep a pretty close eye on it to. They really can be ich magnets and the stress of the move often times will bring about an out break. You might also try nori and formula 2 ,"the green ones". Hth oh and they grow fast your tank is going to be way overstocked when it gets to adult size.

Cat

AC Members
Aug 3, 2004
Norfolk
Visit site
Okay, it looks to be okay now, came home from work last night and he spent most of the evening chewing on my red algae, and he is hiding a lot less, so it looks like he has settled in. As for the size issue, Im always monitoring my tanks levels, so if I find he is getting to much on the bio-load as he grows I will take him out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store