Where to Find a 10g Hood w/ 2WPG?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jess7

My Pets Play So Nice Don't They?!!
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
photobucket.com
I am getting stuck with this question...
Also want to know what would be the best substrate to help plants grow while looking natural? I want to switch out my fake looking blue gravel...

cohazard

AC Members
Apr 6, 2004
Visit site
Eco-complete is all black, but it's supposedly good for your plants

Any incandescent hood from Wal-mart, Petco, etc... that has two outlets can be turned into 2wpg. Just buy two of the 10w flourescent screw-in lights from walmart in the fish dept. and that will give you 2wpg.

That's what I used in my 2 10g's and I had Ambulia, Sunset Hygro, jmoss, jfern, dwarf lillies, and a melon sword I think.

HTH,
Serg

Blinky

Gone
Jun 22, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Visit site
Check out ebay or Big Al's online, 20" double-bulb fluorescent fixtures/hoods are available. You could also get a retrofit kit from www.ahsupply.com to change your current fixture to compact fluorescent, though this would likely give you more than 2WPG.
If you've got an incandescent fixture, spirals are an easy way to go and IME work pretty well as an inexpensive way to grow plants.
2WPG isn't much light over a 10g (the WPG 'rule' doesn't really work for small tanks), I'd aim for ~30W, which will give you medium light and allow you to keep a wide variety of plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store