Brown stuff growing on gravel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abnscout82

AC Members
Feb 20, 2005
Was looking at my tank and I have black and white gravel. I have noticed that there is some brown stuff growing on it and well as on the glass on the inside of the tank near the bottom. I did a %20 water change less than a week ago and used the gravel vacuum. All fish seem healthy and active. Any ideas to what it is?

Dan

abnscout82

AC Members
Feb 20, 2005
Thanks for the reply. Did some research and they said to limit the Light, but I am afraid that my plants will suffer. Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

Dan

abnscout82

AC Members
Feb 20, 2005
Thanks, I will give it some time and if that does not cure it, then I will look into something to eat it. My tank is a little over 2 months old, does that still qualify as a new tank?

abnscout82

AC Members
Feb 20, 2005
My only fear is that my tank is full already, do not want to overstock it (well too much)

Neo Sithlord

Nerf Herder
Mar 20, 2004
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Visit site
Uhm... I've had this same problem for almost a year now now. I'll have to look into the diatoms thing I'm not sure what those are. I was under the impression it was algea? Seriously though if there are any ideas that get rid of this junk I'm all ears! I just added live plants to stem the tide hopefully in my favor but if it's not plant growth... BAH!
-Neo Sithlord

Neo Sithlord

Nerf Herder
Mar 20, 2004
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Visit site
Wow one quick Google search and I've found my enemy! I guess they are photosynthetic orginisms. FINALLY I KNOW WHAT I'VE BEEN FIGHTING! Now just to figure out how to kill them off now that my tanks planted. It said they were simular to plankton... I wish I'd known what it was all this time LOL I thought I was just dealing with algea. Now how to kill off diatoms?
-Neo Sithlord
And good God it's about time I know what this stuff is!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store